For the calculation of the land to building ratio and the floor space index, the geometries of the buildings in the Automated Property Map of Berlin (ALK; part of the Land Cadastre) were merged with the Block Map of the City and Environment Information System, 1:5.000.
For this purpose, the following data bases were consulted:
- Block map 1: 5 000 (ISU5) of the City and Environment Information System (ISU) of the Senate Department for Urban Development, III F, as of 31 Dec. 2005
- Map of building storeys, based on the Automated Property Map (ALK), of Berlin, as of June 30, 2011
as well as the appropriate factual data
- number of storeys of buildings
- building type
- land use of blocks/ block segments
- urban structural type/area type of blocks/ block segments.
With the aid of these data bases, the land to building ratio (LBR) and the floor space index (FSI) were ascertained for a total of 24,669 blocks and block segments.