The present map was updated as of December 31, 2010, based on the 2008, 2005, 2002 and 1995 editions, where it is described in detail.
The Environmental Atlas Maps 06.01 Actual Use of Built-Up Areas, and 0602 Green and Open Spaces, were compiled parallel to the present maps. In the course of the updating process for the 2011 Edition (as of December 12, 2010), changes in land use between 2005 and 2010 were ascertained, and an update of the geometry of Block Map 1:5000 (ISU-5) was undertaken, and accordingly adapted to the urban structure maps. Moreover, the data base for actual use and structure mapping was subjected to an automated plausibility check on the basis of various geo-data available in the State of Berlin.
Overall, the following statistical bases were used to update and check the actual use and urban structure maps:
- Block Map of Berlin 1:5000, Urban and Environmental Information System (ISU-5), Senate Department for Urban Development, III F; as of Dec. 31, 2010, with updated block sections
- Changes of the geometries of the blocks defined under the Spatial Reference System (Räumliches Bezugssystem RBS) of the Berlin-Brandenburg Office of Statistics (formerly Berlin State Statistical Office) 2005-2010
- Digital orthophotography, 2006, SenStadt Sect. III (Aerial Photography Archive)
- Area Monitoring, 2005-2012, SenStadt I A 1
- Automatic Register of Properties (ALK) 1:1.000, SenStadt III C, as of June, 2010
- Map of Berlin 1:5000 (K5), borough surveying offices, 1995, 2006, and January 2010
- Land Use Plan, 1:50,000 (FNP), SenStadt I B 1, as of 2009
- Cemetery Inventory 1:1000, SenStadt I C 2, as of 2009
- Green Space Inventory 1:1000, SenStadt I C 2, as of 2010
- Allotment Gardens Inventory 1:1000, SenStadt I C 2, as of 2009
- Building age 1:1000, from: Städtebauliche Entwicklung Berlins seit 1650 in Karten (Development of the urban structur of Berlin since 1650 in maps), at building level, only as image, only inner city, only to ca. 1980
- Imperviousness 1:5000, SenStadt III F , as of 2005
- Population data 1:5000, afs and SenStadt III F , as of 2009
- Habitat mapping 1:5000, SenStadt I E, as of 2009
- Sports facilities, SenStadt III F, survey by the Sports Administration during the mid-1990s
- Land-to-Building Ratio (LBR) 1:5000, SenStadt III F, as of 2008
- Vacancy analysis, SenStadt I A, as of 2009
- School sites, Senate Department for Education, Science and Research, as of 2010
- State Real Property 1:500, SenStadt I A, as of 2010.