The data on use of built-up and non-built-up areas in West and East Berlin derive from a large number of sources which are differentiated described in the respective edition.
The basis for the categorization and use assignment was provided by the land use maps in the 1985 Umweltatlas (Environmental Atlas) for West Berlin, 06.01 “Actual Use of Built-up Areas,”, 06.02 “Inventory of Green and Open Spaces” and the edition from total area of Berlin 1995 (06.01/06.02) (data base 1990) and 2002 (06.01/06.02).
The update of the edition 2004 (data base 31.12.2001) was implemented by an external contractor.
Changes of land use between 2000 and 2001 were mapped and adaptations of geometries and actual block numbers from the Digital basic map Berlin 1:5,000 of ISU were made. The following statistical bases were used:
- information were taken from the geodata base “Flächen mit gesamtstätisch bedeutenden Veränderungspotenzialen” (areas with statistically important potential of change) published by the groups: City Knowledge, Urban Development Monitoring and Population Prognosis of the Senate Department for Urban Development. Areas with a minimum potential for 100 residential units; 10,000 m² BGF for services; 5,000 m² retail-sales; 1 ha for trade and industry; 3 ha green-spaces or forest/woodland. Information is available on previous use, planned use, and actual use on completion (status 2002).
also the following digital maps:
- Digital basic map Berlin 1:5,000 of ISU; status: 1999-12 and 2002-8. with new block segments and actual block numbers
- Basic map Berlin 1:5,000; K5, 147 single sheets (1968 until 1999) from the geo data service in the raster format TIFF, published by the land surveying offices, status: 2000-01
- ALK-Berlin, selected data from the ALK with selected object information and assignment of allotment areas to ownerships and use categories of the Automatisiertes Liegenschaftsbuch ALB (automated real estate book) for the inner-circle S-Bahn, vector formatted; updated by the land surveying offices, status: 1998
- Map “Flächen mit gesamtstädtischen Veränderungspotentialen” (areas with statistically important potential of change), SenStadt IA1. digital map 1:25,000, status: 2002-06-20
- Digital aerial view from LUA Brandenburg in the sheet line system of the K10 Berlin, SW, 1:10,000, status 1998 and
- Digital CIR-aerial photographies of 2000, SenStadt (archive for aerial views) for areas where block numbers or restrictions had changed and for surfaces with general urban potential of change (s.a., all up nearly 650 aerial views).
Further the structures of use from all existing Bereichsentwicklungsplanung Berlin (BEP) were analysed.
With help of the data bases specified above, use, area type and sealing degree of altogether 1427 areas (compared to the edition 2002), were defined. Compared to the edition 1995 approximately 20 percent of the whole stock of block areas was updated.