Nature + Green  

 

Cemeteries and Other Burial Sites

Soviet Memorial in Schönholzer Heide


Soviet Memorial Schönholzer Heide

Schönholzer Heide, a park that had been popular with Berliners for family outings since the 19th century, was converted into a huge camp for forced laborers during World War II. After the war, a military cemetery designed by a group of Soviet architects, Konstantin A. Solovyev, M. Belarnzev, and W.D. Korolyev, and the sculptor Ivan G. Pershutchev was laid out at the northwest end of the park from May 1947 to November 1949. More than 13,000 officers and soldiers of the Red Army who were killed in the last stages of the war in Berlin in April and May 1945, including 120 women, were buried here.

An avenue of linden trees leads from a small clearing off Germanenstrasse to the memorial. The approach is flanked by two granite pillars embellished with symbolic wreaths and bronze bowls holding a sculpted eternal flame. Two square towers of red granite are on either side of the main entrance, decorated with large bronze reliefs depicting the Soviet people in combat and in mourning. The exterior walls adjacent to the towers display eight coats of arms in cartouche form with the emblems of the various branches of the Soviet armed forces. Quotes from Stalin in German and Russian are inscribed on the walls of the two towers, and inside each tower is an empty bronze urn about 1.5 meters tall. A multicolored skylight composed of hundreds of different pieces reproduces the coat of arms of the Soviet Union inside the right tower, which is reminiscent of an ancient Egyptian burial chamber.

The center of the cemetery grounds is flanked by 16 tombs in which 1182 Red Army soldiers were laid to rest.

The main monument, a Russian "Mother Homeland" mourning her fallen son, who lies under the flag of victory, is at the other end of the grounds and recalls a Christian pietà. It stands in front of a 33.5-meter obelisk of light gray syenite. The names of fallen officers are found on the 42 grave markers on the black ashlars making up the base of the obelisk. Two Soviet colonels are buried in the crypt beneath the obelisk's hall of honor. A monument behind the obelisk commemorates the Soviet soldiers who died in German captivity.

Another 100 grave markers, separated by stylized torches, line the wall that surrounds the memorial. Inscribed on the markers are the name, rank, and year of birth of 2647 fallen Soviet soldiers. Less than 1/4 of the people buried here were able to be identified; the rest are unnamed.

Soviet Memorial in Schönholzer Heide
Adress Germanenstrasse, 13156 Berlin
Opened 7 November 1949
Size 27,500 m²
Number of graves More than 13,000
Type of cemetery Military cemetery and memorial
Object of memorial Red Army soldiers in World War II
Opening times April to September 7.00am - 7.00pm / October to March 8.00am - 4.00pm
Location/Transport See city map
fill

Schönholzer Heide Memorial - Tower at main entrance
Schönholzer Heide Memorial - Tower at main entrance

Schönholzer Heide Memorial - Mother Homeland
Schönholzer Heide Memorial - Mother Homeland

Schönholzer Heide Memorial - Wall of honor
Schönholzer Heide Memorial - Wall of honor

Further Information