Other key sites

Frühling am Brandenburger Tor
Image: flyinger - fotolia.com

Traces of Berlin’s division are visible today not only at the former crossing points and memorials. Sections of the Berlin Wall have been preserved on the grounds of the foundation Topography of Terror, for instance, and at the East Side Gallery on Mühlenstrasse, famous all over the world, where a long section of the former inner wall was painted by artists after the Wall had fallen.

Other places in Berlin, such as Brandenburg Gate or Potsdamer Platz, show less evidence of the city’s division than one might expect. Here the city was more interested in effecting visible reunification of its two halves by reconstructing Pariser Platz and laying out a modern business and shopping district at Potsdamer Platz.

Mauerpark (Wall park)

Link to: Mauerpark (Wall park)
Image: Ignatius Wooster - Fotolia.com

The section of the former border strip running from Behmstrasse to Bernauer Strasse has been remade into a park.More information

Pariser Platz and Brandenburg Gate

Link to: Pariser Platz and Brandenburg Gate
Image: apops - Fotolia.com

Brandenburg Gate, Berlin’s main landmark and former gate to the city, was located right behind the border inside the Soviet sector during the years of division. Pariser Platz was part of the border strip and thus inaccessible to the public.More information

Potsdamer Platz and Leipziger Platz

Link to: Potsdamer Platz and Leipziger Platz
Image: © Kruwt - Fotolia.com

Around 1930, Potsdamer Platz was known as Europe’s busiest intersection and was surrounded by hotels, restaurants, and stores. After Berlin was occupied by the Second World War’s victorious powers, the British, American, and Soviet sectors came together at the ruins of Potsdamer Platz.More information

Topography of Terror

Link to: Topography of Terror
Image: Bildwerk / Stiftung Topographie des Terrors

From 1933 to 1945, the headquarters of the Gestapo, the Gestapo “house prison,” and, after 1939, the Reich Security Main Office, as well as the SS High Command and the Security Service of the SS High Command, were located on the grounds of what is now the Topography of Terror documentation center.More information

The East Side Gallery: A section of the inner wall painted in 1990

Link to: The East Side Gallery: A section of the inner wall painted in 1990
Image: elxeneize - Fotolia.com

A section of the inner wall on Mühlenstrasse in Friedrichshain, painted in 1990 by 118 artists from 21 countries, is now known as the East Side Gallery.More information

Schlesisches Tor

Link to: Schlesisches Tor
Image: BA Treptow-Köpenick

At Schlesischer Busch the GDR’s border fortifications ran parallel to the Flutgraben (flood channel). The walls, floodlights, and border patrol road have been removed and built over. One watchtower was preserved and now stands as a reminder of the city’s division.More information