Please also note the terms and conditions and the fee regulations of the Berlin Adult Education Centres:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Image: Jezper / Shutterstock
Who can attend events at the VHS?
You can attend courses at the Adult Education Centre if you are at least 16 years old, regardless of previous education or profession. Exceptions are parent-child courses and the offers of the “junge vhs” (young vhs).
Details can be found in the implementation regulations on fees of the Berlin Adult Education Centres.
How can I reserve a place?
Reservations can be made by telephone or e-mail. Please state the course number.
- Telephone: (030) 90277-3000
A reservation is normally valid for 3 calendar days. During this time you have to register.
How can I register?
You have two options for course registration:
Online registration via a personal user account.
Detailed information on the online registration procedure can be found on the page Book and pay online.
Written registration by post, fax or e-mail
Complete our registration form including SEPA mandate (direct debit mandate). If you are entitled to a discount, please enclose appropriate current proof. Send the form
- by scan or photo as an attachment by e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
- by post or letter box: Barbarossaplatz 5, 10781 Berlin
- by fax: (030) 90277-8944
In any case, you will receive a written confirmation of registration – your “ticket” to the course.
If a course is already fully booked, you will automatically be placed on the waiting list and informed accordingly.
- Online registration via a personal user account.
What does a course cost and how can I pay?
The costs of the courses are listed on the website in the course details.
Payment is made by SEPA mandate (direct debit mandate). You will find the mandate on the registration form or online for download. Cash payment is not possible.
- Where do the courses take place?
Is there a reduction for me?
You will receive a reduction if you provide proof of eligibility with your registration. The proof must not be older than six months. A subsequent reduction is not possible.
Eligible for a reduction are:
- Recipients of social welfare and basic income support as well as members of the joint household of a recipient of benefits,
- Recipients of unemployment benefit II and social benefits as well as the members of the community of need,
- Recipients of benefits under the Asylum Seekers’ Benefits Act (Asylbewerberleistungsgesetz) and the members of the community of need,
- Recipients of unemployment benefit; recipients of sickness benefit whose entitlement to unemployment benefit is suspended for the duration of the receipt of sickness benefit are treated as recipients of unemployment benefit,
- Recipients of housing benefit and the members of a beneficiary’s community of need,
- Recipients of the child supplement and the members of the community of need,
- school leavers without a training place or job until they start further training, at the longest until twelve months after finishing school,
- full-time students at state and state-recognised colleges and universities,
- persons doing voluntary military service and persons doing federal voluntary service or a voluntary cultural, social or ecological year,
- children not yet of school age in parent-child programmes.
Courses in the department of German as a foreign/contemporary language are generally reduced.
The accompanying person of a severely disabled person with the mark “B” on the severely disabled person’s ID card can attend free of charge.
Can I attend first and check whether it is the right course for me?
No, unfortunately not for organisational reasons. Use our counselling appointments to find the course that matches your expectations and knowledge.
Do I need counselling?
If you are not sure which course is the right one for you, use the specialist counselling in the programme areas.
In the department of German as a foreign language, it is not possible to register without prior counselling for most courses.
Do courses take place during the school holidays?
For most courses, the school holidays are also course holidays. Please enquire with your course instructor.
Special holiday courses are an exception.
How many participants are required for a course to take place?
There is a minimum number of participants for each course. If the minimum number of participants is not reached, the course may be cancelled.
Can I still register if the course has already started?
If there are free places, it is possible to join some courses at a later date. For more information, please contact the relevant programme department.
I cannot take part in the course I have booked. Will I get my money back?
If you cancel in writing or in person and present the confirmation of enrolment, you will get your money back. However, the Adult Education Centre retains an administration fee: Up to 14 days before the start of the event € 6.00, thereafter € 12.00. Fees under € 12.00 are due in full.
No refunds will be made from the day the event begins.
Cancellations by telephone are not possible.
When and how do I receive a certificate of attendance?
If you attended at least 70 percent of the lessons, you can receive a free certificate of attendance. Your attendance will be checked against the attendance list. This may take some time.
For certificates requested later than 12 months after the end of the course, a processing fee of € 10.00 will be charged.
- General Terms and Conditions
- Cancellation policy
Montag + Dienstag
(in den Schulferien
Bitte verwenden Sie unser
- Fax: (030) 90277-8944
- E-mail An die vhs Tempelhof-Schöneberg
Bezahlung per SEPA-Lastschrift