- keep roads safe and usable,
- develop traffic infrastructure,
- perform maintenance work on gas, water, sewage and conductor pipes,
- renovate or build tram and metro tracks,
- construct buildings.
For the setting-up of a construction site in the public road network, regulatory action by the traffic authority ordering the establishment of a construction site is required in addition to the necessary permit of special use according to Berlin’s Road Law (Berliner Straßengesetz §§11 and 12).
The Traffic Management issues the order based on traffic law for the superior road network in collaboration with the Police and the Baulastträger (“party bearing the charge of construction”, usually the Land of Berlin)
- Higher-level road network Berlin (Geoportal Map)
For all other roads, the order is issued by the traffic authority responsible in the respective boroughs.