Target group / Purpose of funding
The stipend programme was established to support the artistic or curatorial development of professional artists, curators and artist or curatorial groups working in the visual arts,who have a track record of producing outstanding work. By supporting new ideas and approaches, the research stipends are intended to enhance the diversity and quality of artistic and curatorial work produced in Berlin.
Funding is provided to research activities that, for instance,
- involve research or preparatory work on a particular topic
- develop new projects
- are aimed at tapping new or different working techniques
- allow for the continuation or completion of particular works
- support mediation, documentation or publication etc. Stipends are awarded on the basis of the artistic quality of previous work and quality of the proposed research endeavor.
Eligibility and conditions
- Applicants should have completed a professional qualification in the arts and/or provide evidence of professional artistic activity in their field that extends over several years.
- Applicants may not have received any other stipend from the Berlin Senate for the year in which they are applying.
- Applicants must live and work in Berlin. In the case of groups, the majority of members must live and work in Berlin.
- Applicants may not be enrolled at a higher education institution.
A minimum of 47 stipends will be awarded to artists and a maximum of 8 stipends to curators. The research stipends of € 8,000 each are dispensed in four monthly payments in the period from September to December of the respective funding year.
Call for applications
A call for applications to the work stipend programme is usually issued in the spring of each funding year.
Applicants can submit an application to this programme every two years.
Please refer to the current version of the programme flyer for detailed information on submitting an application.
Programme flyer - Research Stipends in Fine Art 2019