These funds are intended primarily for the support of members of and other stakeholders in what is called the “independent arts scene” (approx. 2/3), as well as institutions (approx. 1/3). Natural persons and legal entities based in Berlin and professionally engaged in artistic or curatorial work are eligible to apply.
Purpose of funding
The goal is to promote arts and cultural projects that correspond to Berlin’s own self-image as an open, creative, history-conscious metropolis.
Support goes to projects and programmes that cannot be or are not adequately funded by the cultural affairs department’s regular funding programmes.
Approx. 2/3 of the available funding (independent arts scene) goes to:
- Series or similar events (Festivals developed and taking place in Berlin that involve Berlin based artists)
- Special programmatic focus
- Co-productions (with a financial and artistic collaboration of the project partner)
Approx. 1/3 of the available funding (institutions) goes to:
- In particular, cooperation projects in which institutions work with members of the independent arts scene who are based in Berlin
- Projects and events organized by institutions that are especially likely to serve the purpose of this funding programme
Eligibility and conditions
The majority of artists involved in the project must live and work in Berlin or the institution applying for funding must be in Berlin.
Exhibition fees and minimum fees for artists must be taken into account in the financing plan.
The projects being funded must be visible in Berlin in the years in which they receive funding.
Not eligible are:
- Profit-oriented, commercial projects
- Projects that could be realized with funds from Berlin’s cultural institutions as part of their regular activities
- Purely institutional funding or funding that extends over several years
- Entire annual programmes
- Prize and grant awards
- Purchases (for libraries, museums, and archives), the restoration of art objects, printing costs (except for catalogues provided for in the funding for an exhibition), the digitalisation (production of digital copies) and archiving of art objects and collections, the maintenance of websites and the production of films (this does not apply to artistic films)
- Projects and programmes for which the Berlin´s Senate Department for Culture and Europe already provides relevant funding instruments
- Projects that have already been promised funding or partial funding from the Senate Department for Culture and Europe (including Musicboard and inm)
(Note: projects with a partial or complementary funding from the Capital Cultural Fund, the EU or decentralized cultural support, e.g., borough funding, are eligible.)
There is no minimum or maximum amount of funding.
Priority will be given to artistic (co-)productions. Applicants who are not receiving institutional funding can also apply for project-related support for rent and other running costs for personnel and material expenses. Applicants who are receiving institutional funding can apply for project-related support for rent and other running costs for personnel and material expenses only if this is not covered by their existing funding.
The funding only covers expenses in Berlin or directly connected with the project in Berlin. Berlin
In justified cases, funding may be granted for two years.
Call for applications
A call for applications is usually issued once a year. Please pay close attention to the deadline in the programme flyer.
Please refer to the current version of the program flyer for detailed information on submitting an application.
Information Sheet Multi-sector Funding 2019/2020
Sample project description
Sample financing plan
Sample venue confirmation
Information sheet regarding accessibility measures for people with disabilities
Note to access the online form
To access the online form, please select Förderbereich „Interdisziplinäre Förderungen“ under Auswahl des Förderprogramms.