Awards programme for artistic project spaces and initiatives
Target group / Purpose of funding
The prizes are awarded to Berlin-based, artistic, self-organized project spaces and initiatives that are embedded in a specific discipline (visual art, music or literature), yet work interdisciplinarily.
Awards go to independent artistic project spaces and initiatives run by groups and individuals that develop innovative projects and positions, take up new discourses and trends and spur new developments. The programme is interdisciplinary and open for versatile artistic, curatorial, and theoretical circles within the field of visual arts. The awards programme was established with the aim of heightening the visibility of the project space scene and honouring the creative programming, commitment and hard work involved in running a project space.
To apply to the awards programme artspaces and initiatives must:
- have existed for at least two years.
- provide evidence of ongoing activity for a period of twenty-four months within the last three years.
- be based and operate primarily in Berlin.
- provide a space for third-party projects, discourses and activities related to the arts.
- undertake activities and projects of a non-commercial nature.
- not currently be receiving funding through regular funding schemes (institutional funding).
Each year twenty awards – each with €30,000 in prize money – are bestowed upon outstanding artspaces and initiatives.
The award ceremony will take place in the beginning/mid September. It is expected from the prize recipients to hold an exhibition/event/project presentation in their space during this time.
Call for applications
A call for applications is usually issued in January of each year.
Please refer to the current version of the programme flyer (in German) for detailed information.
Informationsblatt für die Auszeichnung künstlerischer Projekträume und -initiativen im Jahr 2017