Target group/ purpose of funding
The cultural exchange grants serve the artistic development of professional artists based in Berlin. The stay abroad should enable the artists to gain an understanding and knowledge of the cultural scene of the residency city, to study current developments of the local scene, to network, exchange ideas, gain inspiration and to realise an artistic project on site. The local partner institution Cité Internationale des Arts provides a studio flat.
Eligibility and conditions
- Grants are awarded to artists who have proven themselves through their artistic work and are able to verify this with their portfolio.
- Recipients are required to remain on location during the grant period
- Artists applying to this programme must live and work in Berlin, and be registered in Berlin (‚Erstwohnsitz‘)
- Students cannot apply
- Artists from non-EU-states are only eligible to apply if they hold a valid residency permit which qualifies them for self-employment.
- Former grantees can re-apply, if their residency ended at least two years ago (September 2021)
- 1 grant for 6 months – May until October 2024
The grant comprises a monthly payment of 2.500 € plus free use of the studio flat at the Cité.
During the artist’s residency colleagues at the Cité look after the Berlin artist and arrange contacts to the local scene on request. Events organised by the Cité (i.e. open studios, exhibitions, artists‘ talks) offer opprtunities for Berlin artists to present their work to an international audience.
Cité International des Arts – www.citedesartsparis.net
Call for applications
The call for applications to this programme usually opens in July of each year for the following year.
The jury process has two stages.
An independent expert jury appointed by the Senate Department for Culture consisting of Korhan Erel, Inka Gressel, Christina Landbrecht, Nazanin Noori and Valentin Schmehl makes a pre-selection in November 2023. Representatives of the Cité make the final selection. Results of the pre-selection will be communicated via email in December 2023, results of the final selection probably in January 2024.
>>> NEW! >>> Please note, that you can only submit an application for ONE residency place at a time. Multiple applications (for several residency cities) are no longer possible!
We strongly advise you top lease read all the information provided on the actual information sheet.