Recognition of School Qualifications

Lachende Jugendliche

Assessment of qualifications by the certificate recognition office

Your German or foreign school leaving certificates will be assessed by our certificate recognition office with regard to their equivalence to the
  • Certificate of vocational education (BBR),
  • Advanced vocational qualification (EBBR),
  • Intermediate school leaving certificate (MSA),
  • University of Applied Sciences entrance qualification,
  • Subject-related higher education entrance qualification,
  • General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur)

Exception: recognition of a foreign qualification to apply to university

If you want to apply to a university or university of applied sciences in Berlin with a certificate obtained abroad, your certificate will be recognised by

No personal office hours

The certificate recognition office currently does not offer any personal or telephone office hours. We would be happy to help you by e-mail or by phone

You can still submit your application by letter post or through the letterbox (to the left of the main entrance):
  • Senatsverwaltung für Bildung, Jugend und Familie
    Certificate Recognition Office
    Bernhard-Weiß-Straße 6
    10178 Berlin
Please note: In the case of a written recognition procedure, one of the following bodies or institutions must officially certify the copies of your certificates:
  • A German state authority (e.g., German diplomatic missions or citizens’ offices),
  • Local courts,
  • Local notaries or
  • A local embassy or consulate in your home country.

Recognition only applies to Berlin

The assessments of the certificate recognition office apply exclusively to use in the State of Berlin. Unfortunately, certificate assessments cannot be carried out for other federal states.

For procedural reasons, the use within the State of Berlin must be proven to the certificate recognition office if necessary.

Application and documents

The application for a certificate assessment can be made either in person during office hours or in writing. The application can also be made by an authorized representative.

You must always submit the following documents with the application:

  1. Application for assessment of the submitted documents as a general school leaving certificate: please use the form below.
  2. Certificates and, if applicable, higher education entrance examination (certified copies)
  3. Transcripts/course achievements or final degrees (certified copies)
  4. German translations of the documents by a translator / interpreter sworn for the German courts and authorities (certified copies). This is not necessary for documents originally in English or French.
  5. Copy of passport, identification card or registration certificate, if applicable, displaced person ID
  6. Tabular curriculum vitae
  • Application for the evaluation of documents as a general school leaving certificate

    PDF-Document (111.2 kB) - As of: Juni 2018

  • Application for pre-certification

    PDF-Document (133.8 kB) - As of: August 2020

Official certification of documents

The copies must be certified by a German authority (e.g., citizens’ office, German embassy, German consulate). In the case of a personal application, official certification is not required if you present the original documents for viewing and bring simple photocopies with you.

When submitting a written application, please send your documents to:

Senatsverwaltung für Bildung, Jugend und Familie
Certificate Recognition Office
Bernhard-Weiß-Straße 6
10178 Berlin


The examination or recognition of a foreign or domestic school leaving certificate is subject to a fee:

  • Examination of school leaving certificates obtained abroad: 55 euros
  • Examination of school leaving certificates obtained in Germany: 45 euros

You do not have to pay the fee on site but only pay once you have received a written request for payment from us.

Please come as early as possible, as the issuance of a waiting number will be closed early if there is high demand.

Recognition of the Berlin university of applied sciences entrance qualification

Anyone who has prematurely left the upper secondary school, a college or evening classes in the State of Berlin without passing the Abitur examination can bring in their achievements for the university of applied sciences entrance qualification. This also applies to those who have passed the Abitur examination for non-school students.

The application together with the other documents will not be accepted by the certificate recognition office but by a separate office of the Senate Department for Education, Youth and Family.

Junge Frau mit Mappe

Recognition of the Berlin Fachhochschulreife

The Fachhochschulreife entitles the holder to study at a university of applied sciences. Those who have left the gymnasiale Oberstufe, a Kolleg or an Abendgymnasium prematurely without passing the Abitur examination can apply their achievements towards the Fachhochschulreife. Recognition of the Berlin Fachhochschulreife

Further information

Schüler bei Abschlussprüfung

Graduation from integrated secondary schools after 9th and 10th grade

For many students, the school-leaving certificate achieved at the end of the 10th grade is a milestone on their further path to the Abitur, for others it is the entry into vocational training. More information

Schüler bei Klassenarbeit

Graduations at the Gymnasium after the 9th and 10th grade

Those who go to the Gymnasium already achieve a further school-leaving qualification on their way to the Abitur. After the 9th grade, the requirements for the Berufsbildungsreife (BBR) can be met and after the 10th grade, the Mittlerer Schulabschluss (MSA) can be achieved through appropriate performance. More information