Families and single parents can apply for a child supplement (KiZ) for children up to the age of 25 if
- The children live in the parents’ household, the children are under 25 years old and not married or in a partnership,
- They receive a child benefit for these children,
- The income is above a fixed minimum limit (the maximum income limit does not apply as of 1 January 2020, so that families with medium income levels can still receive a reduced child supplement),
- They do not remain more than 100 euros below an SGB II entitlement (unemployment benefit II or income support) with the child supplement and housing benefit,
- The entire family’s needs are covered by the child supplement
If you only receive unemployment benefit II or income support, you are not entitled to the child supplement.
The child supplement is granted for six months and begins in the month in which the application is submitted. As a rule, the child supplement is paid to the parent who also receives the child benefit.