Corona information

Maintenance Advance

Mutter mit zwei Kindern auf dem Spielplatz

No child should have to suffer financial hardship. In the case of single parents, the maintenance advance fund helps out if the other parent does not or cannot provide sufficient support for the child. In this case, your child will be paid an advance by the state.

Entitlement to a maintenance advance

Your child, whom you are raising alone, is entitled to a maintenance advance if they
  • Are not yet 18 years old,
  • Live with you in Germany, and
  • Receive no or insufficient support from the other parent.
After your child’s 12th birthday, your child is only entitled to a maintenance advance if one of the following conditions is met:
  • You or your child do not receive any unemployment benefit II
  • With the maintenance advance, your child’s need for assistance can be avoided
  • You have a gross monthly income of at least 600 euros and receive supplementary unemployment benefit II

Please refer to the information sheets for details on the entitlement to a maintenance advance.

Amount of the maintenance advance

The amount of the maintenance advance is based on the statutory minimum maintenance. The child benefit paid from public funds is deducted from this. The minimum maintenance was increased on 1 January 2021.

The monthly maintenance advance amounts to as of 1 January 2020 and 1 January 2021:

1 January – 31 December 2020 as of 1 January 2021
for children under 6 years old 165 euros 174 euros
for children 6 years old and less than 12 220 euros 232 euros
for children 12 years old and less than 18 293 euros 309 euros

Maintenance payments from the other parent or other income from the child (e.g. half-orphan’s pension) are credited against these amounts.

Maintenance advance if you receive unemployment benefit II

If you and your child receive unemployment benefit II from the JobCenter and your child has reached the age of 12, you are only entitled to a maintenance advance under certain conditions. Please find out more about this with the help of the information sheet in the application for a maintenance advance as of 1 July 2017. It is possible that your need to secure your subsistence will only continue to be covered by the JobCenter.

However, if the JobCenter anticipates that you are entitled to an overriding maintenance advance, you will be asked to submit an application.

In any case, you will receive your benefits for securing your subsistence from the JobCenter for a transitional period (until the maintenance advance is actually paid) without the previous amount being credited against maintenance advance benefits.

Your application for a maintenance advance

Please use the following form to submit your application for a maintenance advance to the youth welfare office in your residential district. This form also lists the documents that you have to submit. Please submit your application in good time because a maintenance advance is only paid retrospectively for one month under certain conditions.

The youth welfare offices are as well prepared as possible for the statutory extension of the entitlement to a maintenance advance. However, due to the large number of new applications received so far, processing times may be longer. We ask for your understanding.

Application forms

Application for benefits under the UVG (maintenance advance) in the currently applicable version


Supplementary information for benefits under the UVG (maintenance advance) in the currently applicable version for children from 12 years


Data protection

Data protection information on the application for benefits under the Maintenance Advance Act

PDF-Document (164.6 kB)

Information sheets

Further information