A residence permit for the purpose of study preparation can be granted for maximum two years.
The purpose of study preparation includes:
- Intensive German language course (a minimum of 18 lesson-hours per week),
- study college,
- preparatory courses
A residence permit can not be issued for an intensive language course to learn a foreign language (e.g. English). This applies even if the desired course of studies is offered only in a foreign language.
University entrance certificate
This can either be a German Abitur certificate or an international maturity certificate.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
the form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
available in German, English, Frensc, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian
Proof of secure livelihood
The following are accepted as proof:
- blocked account (Sperrkonto) at a German Bank with 9,936 euros or
- submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form or
- scholarship or
- notarized declaration from parents securing the livelihood for the duration of the studies with proof of the income of the parents in the last six months.
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information for students on adequate health insurance".
Contract with a language school or approval for study college
- Additionally with an intensive language course: Certification of the language school over a booked language course of at least 3 months
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- 56.00 to 100.00 euros (depending on the technical effort)
- A maximum of 28.80 euro for Turkish citizens
Average time to process request
To ensure timely renewal of your current visa or residence permit an appointment should be made 4-6 weeks before the expiry date.
The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport. Electronic residence permits can at the moment only be issued in exceptional circumstances.