Residence permit for a foreign child born in Germany - Issuance

Issuance of a residence permit for a foreign child

  • born in Germany and
  • where at least one parent holds a valid residence title


  • A personal interview is required
    The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
  • Ex officio - Issuance at a Citizens Registration Office (Bürgeramt)
    Both parents (in the case of shared parental responsibility) or the parent with sole parental responsibility are in possession of a valid residence title when the child is born.

    The residence title (residence permit, EU Blue Card, settlement permit, EC long-term residence permit, right of residence or unlimited residence permit) of the parents or parent must have been issued by the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office.

    The residence permit for the child can then be issued by every Civil Office (Bürgeramt) in Berlin.
  • On application - issuance at the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office
    Only one parent (in the case of joint parental responsibility) is in possession of a valid residence title when the child is born (see above).

    Application for a residence permit for the child must then be made to the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office.
  • Birth in Germany
    The child must have been born in the Federal territory and registered in Berlin together with the parents/parent with rights of custody.

Documents required

  • The child's passport
    The child must either possess its own valid passport or be registered in the passport of a parent.
  • 1 current biometric photo (over the age of 10)
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
    • Note: The parents of the child are in possession of travel documents for foreigners, refugees or stateless persons? Then the child will always need a current biometric photo, regardless of age.
  • Certificate of birth
  • Passports of the parents


From 01.09.2017 the fee is 28.00 Euro.

Free of charge:
  • For Turkish citizens or
  • when presenting current proof of receiving benefits according to SGB II or XII or the Asylum Seekers Benefits Act

Average time to process request

The residence permit will generally be issued as an adhesive label in your passport on the same day.

Responsible authorities

The service can generally be provided at all Citizens Registration Offices (Bürgerämter). In special circumstances, only the Foreigners Registration Office is responsible (see requirements).

Show other authorities offering these services on the main Service Portal.