Departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union (Brexit)
The United Kingdom is set to leave the European Union at midnight on 29.03.2019 (so-called Brexit). However, the conditions of the UK’s departure remain unclear.
- Whatever happens, British citizens will in future require a residency title or some other proof of their right of residency in order to reside in the territory of Germany.
- To register and submit your application, please use our online form (see below). Please read our FAQ first
- Please stay abreast of the latest developments. We will keep you up to date with any news.
Consequences in residency law for British citizens in Germany in the event of a disorderly Brexit
- From 30.03.2019 onwards British citizens in Germany will, for an initial period of three months until 30.06.2019, be exempted from the requirement to possess a German residency title.
- By 30.06.2019 all British citizens should apply for a residency title at their local Foreigners Registration Office.
- Until a decision has been taken on the application, the applicant will be allowed to continue to reside in Germany and to engage in economic activity of any kind.
Consequences in residency law for British citizens in Germany in the event of a Brexit Withdrawal Agreement
Should the Withdrawal Agreement between the United Kingdom and the European Union be ratified, you will in future still be required to prove your right to residency.
Online registration with the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office
British citizens already residing in Berlin can register online with us to submit an application for a residency title.
Before completing the form, please do bear in mind the following points:
- This form is only intended for British citizens and their family members who are already residing in Berlin. If you do not live in Berlin, please consult your local Foreigners Registration Office.
- For families living together under one roof the following applies: Please ensure that the form is only completed by one adult member of the family. Spouses and/or children under 18 should be entered in the particular designated field of the form.
- Adult children who are not living with their parents should complete the form themselves.
What happens after you have completed this form
- After you have completed all fields and sent the final form, you will see a summary of your data and a confirmation about the made registration. We recommend to save it for you and your family members and/or to print it. This document serves as proof of your registration and of your lawful residency in the territory of Germany.
- From April 2019 onwards we will contact everyone who has registered via this online form and invite them to an appointment. We would ask for your patience during this process.
- Provided you are entitled to exercise your right to freedom of movement in Berlin, you shall continue to have the right to reside in the territory of Germany until the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office has taken a decision on your application.
- Until then you (and, where relevant, also your family members) have the right to engage in economic activity. This is however dependent on your subsequently fulfilling a request by the Berlin Foreigners Registration Office to attend an appointment on invitation.
- The data requested on our online form will be processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Should the United Kingdom’s departure from the European Union be stopped, we will immediately delete all data we have collected.