Please note: This service is not available for family members (spouses, parents, children) of German citizens. If you are a family member of a German citizen, please read the following information and apply for a Residence permit for spouses, parents and children
The residence card is issued to family members who
- are not nationals of a Member State of the European Union - EU or the European Economic Area - EEA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway)
- who are cohabiting as a family with a citizen of the EU or the EEA
- who is entitled to free movement.
The residence card is generally issued for 5 years. It certifies the right of entry and residence. Any gainful employment (employment or self-employment) is therefore permitted.
Family members of Germans do not receive a residence card
in pursuance of the Freizügigkeitsgesetz [Freedom of Movement Act]. They may receive a residence permit in pursuance of the Aufenthaltsgesetz [Residence Act], if they are not themselves EU or EEA citizens (see under 'More information').
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
form "Angaben zur Ausstellung einer Aufenthaltskarte" (filled out)
Proof of relationship
i.e. certificate of birth, marriage certificate, partnership certificate
Proof of registered residence of the EU or EEA citizen
Proof of the right to free movement of the EU/EEA citizen
In individual cases, proof of the right of freedom of movement of the EU/EEA citizen may be required. Please therefore bring the following documents with you:
- for employees: confirmation from the employer of the appointment or employment
- for self-employed workers: business registration, tax number, current tax demand
- for non-employed persons: proof of health insurance and means of subsistence
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
From 1 September 2017:
- 10.00 to 28.80 euros (depending on the technical effort)