Bitte beachten Sie darüber hinaus die Sonderinformationen unserer Seite: Informationen für Kundinnen und Kunden des LABO
Permanent settlement permit (general)
Granting of an permanent settlement permit according to various legal bases
The following cases of residence are subject to different requirements:
- persons recognised as being entitled to asylum and refugees
- foreign graduates of German universities
- family members of German nationals
- skilled workers and EU Blue Card holders
- children (older than 16)
- self-employed persons
Application in writing
Please file an application with the Foreigners' Registration Office. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
Please enclose with your application a copy of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”.
Possession of a residence permit for 5 years
The residence permit must be issued for
- cohabitation with a foreign member of the family,
- gainful employment,
- independent or freelance activities, or
- on humanitarian grounds.
A permanent settlement permit cannot be issued to persons who hold a residence permit issued on humanitarian grounds pursuant to § 24, § 25 subs. 4 s. 1, § 25 subs. 4a s. 1 or § 25 subs. 4b s. 1 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) [German Residence Act].
Sufficient knowledge of German
You must have an adequate command of the German language (level B 1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
If you were in possession of either a residence permit or a residence authorisation on 31/12/2004, you only have to demonstrate basic knowledge of the German language (level A 1) to be granted a permanent settlement permit.
Basic knowledge of the legal and social system and living conditions in Germany
Secured means of support from own income
You may not receive social assistance benefits from a Jobcenter or the Social Welfare Office (e.g. scale-II unemployment benefits or income support).
The proofs of income may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner in the event of marital or civil partnership cohabitation.
You must furnish proof of having paid compulsory or voluntary contributions to the statutory German Pension Fund for at least 60 months, or of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance company.
The proofs of entitlement to pension schemes may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner in the event of marital or civil partner-ship cohabitation.
Sufficient health insurance
Secured means of support include an adequate health insurance for you and the members of your family:
- If you have a statutory health insurance, you are adequately insured.
- If you have a private health insurance, please make sure that type and scope of your health insurance are adequate.
- For more information, please read the Leaflet on the Health Insurance (under “Forms").
No criminal record
Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
Main residence in Berlin
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
- Form "Antrag auf Erteilung einer Niederlassungserlaubnis/Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU"
Proof of income
Proof of sufficient resources to sustain oneself may also be provided by the spouse or same-sex partner (see “Prerequisites”).
In the case of employees:
- contract of employment
- current certificate issued by the employer (not older than 14 days),
- salary statements for the last 6 months, and
- certificate issued by the pension insurance institution
- completed audit report together with the documents listed therein, e.g. extract from the Commercial Register
- The audit report must be completed by a tax consultant, auditor or tax agent.
- last tax assessment notice
- notice of pension entitlement
- notice of pension entitlement on account of disability or reduced ability to earn a living, or
- recent expert opinion by the German Federal Employment Agency [Bundesagentur für Arbeit], or
- qualified medical certificate
- If you are covered by statutory health insurance, a current confirmation of health insurance coverage from your provider, or
- if you are insured with a private health insurance company, the policy and proof of contributions paid (e.g. statements of account).
Lease or proof of home ownership
Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
Certificates showing participation in the integration course (if available)
- “Integration Course Certificate” about the successful participation in the integration course
- Certificate of the results obtained in the final tests
- Pension information notice issued by the German Pension Fund, or
- proof of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution
Proof of the receipt of other benefits
Do you receive any child benefit, child benefit supplement, parental benefit, care benefit or similar benefits?
If yes, please submit proof thereof (e.g. notice).
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- For the issue of the permanent settlement permit: 113.00 euros.
- If the application must be rejected: 56.50 euros.
- For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.