Residence permits and EU Blue Card
- Have you entered Germany, and are you now living in Berlin?
- Are you intending to stay for longer than three months?
- Are you not from the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway?
If so, you need a residence title in order to stay for longer.
Can I receive a residence permit or EU Blue Card?
What do I have to do?
If you wish to apply for a residence title, please proceed as follows:
1. Book an appointment at the Foreigners’ Registration Office in as timely a manner as possible.
Before doing so, please read and bear in mind our notes on booking appointments
2. Please register your Berlin address before your appointment at the Foreigners’ Registration Office.
You can do this at any Berlin citizens’ registration office (Bürgeramt).
If you can not register your Berlin address before the appointment with the foreigners’ office, please bring proof of your main residence in Berlin (lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord).
3. Bring all the required documents with you when you attend your appointment.
If your documents are not complete, it will not be possible to issue you with the residence title that you want, and you will need to come in again.
Which documents, forms and fees do I need to bring with me?
In the overview of residence permits and the EU Blue Card you will find the information you need, and you can book an appointment.
I moved to Berlin from another German city
- Do you have a valid residence permit or EU Blue Card?
Then you need only to register your Berlin address at a citizens’ registration office (Bürgeramt).
- You need to come to the Foreigners’ Registration Office only in the following cases:
- Your residence title needs to be extended, or
- Your residence title needs to be changed because the purpose of your stay has changed (e.g. you have a new employer, you are doing a degree after working as an au pair, or you are doing a job after completing a degree)
I would like to extend my residence permit or EU Blue Card
You will not receive an appointment to extend your residence title in writing.
Please book your own appointment in a timely manner.