Information for refugees from Ukraine

eine Hand hält eine Ukraine Flagge

Have you fled the war in Ukraine and are living in the Berlin Lichtenberg district?

Financial support for refugees from Ukraine is currently being provided under the Asylum Seekers’ Benefit Act and is paid by the Social Welfare Office.

From 1 June 2022, it is likely that claims for subsistence benefits (including health insurance) will be made via the Job Centre. The costs for accommodation and heating will be covered if these apply and can be proven.

Where can I register in Berlin?

Link to registration
You must officially register in order to apply for financial benefits.

Where do I apply for a residence permit online?

Link to residence permit application
For applications via the Jobcenter, a temporary residence permit or residence permit must be provided pursuant to Section 24 para. 1 of the Residence Act.

How do I apply for benefits at the Job Centre in line with the German Social Code II (Unemployment Benefit II)?

After submitting your application, you will receive an invitation in the post to attend a consultation to prove your identity. Please make sure you attend this appointment.

Important: Applications for Unemployment Benefit II can now be submitted. The date of 1 June 2022 should be entered under point 2 of the main application form.

An information sheet in Ukrainian on Unemployment Benefit II is available here.

Handbook Germany

Which documents are required for the application?

  • Copies of all family members’ passports
  • Copies of all family members’ (temporary) residence permits
  • Completed and signed application form
    (Do you already have a reference number with the Employment Agency? Please provide this reference number)
    If available:
  • copy of the last decision regarding your previous asylum seekers’ benefits or transfer letter from the AsylbLG
  • Bank account details (Please open a German bank account)

Where do I submit my application for Unemployment Benefit II?

You can submit your documents using various methods:

  • Use our online service at The application form is available to download here. Please see the attached flyer for assistance or
  • Send us your completed application form including all documents by post to the address provided or
  • Use our letterbox at the Jobcenter Berlin Lichtenberg, Gotlindestraße 93, 10365 Berlin, side entrance building 2.

Can I attend a language or integration course?

Refugees from Ukraine have immediate access to language support services provided by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF). You will receive access to all courses and qualification services. In this way, the government aims to make your arrival and stay in Germany easier.

Where can I find additional help in Berlin?

More information and contact details are available at Information for asylum seekers is available in German and Ukrainian.

Questions and answers for refugees from Ukraine (video – sign language): FAQ Ukraine
Government help portal for refugees from Ukraine: germany4ukraine

BuT Beratung

Can I claim child benefits?

Information about the requirements for claiming child benefits as a refugee is available on the Family Benefits Office (Familienkasse) website in German ##icon:flag_de## and Ukrainian ##icon:flag_uk##.

You can visit the website here.

Where can my children be looked after?

  • Information sheet on childcare

    in deutscher Sprache ##icon:flag_de##

    PDF-Document (54.1 kB)

  • Information sheet on childcare

    in ukrainischer Sprache ##icon:flag_uk##

    PDF-Document (74.7 kB)

How do I register my children at a school?

  • Information sheet on school registration

    in deutscher Sprache ##icon:flag_de##

    PDF-Document (148.8 kB)

  • Information sheet on school registration

    in ukrainischer Sprache ##icon:flag_uk##

    PDF-Document (152.2 kB)