Direkt zum Inhalt der Seite springen

Topography of Terror

From 1933 to 1945, the headquarters of the Gestapo, the Gestapo “house prison,” and, after 1939, the Reich Security Main Office, as well as the SS High Command and the Security Service of the SS High Command, were located on the grounds of what is now the Topography of Terror documentation center. An open-air exhibition documents the history of this site as the control center of the National Socialist program of persecution and annihilation.

Gestapo, SS, and Reich Security Main Office on Wilhelmstrasse and Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse: A Documentation
Open-air exhibition

Niederkirchnerstrasse 8
10963 Berlin

October – April: daily 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. (or until nightfall)
May – September: daily 10 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Admission free

U6, Kochstrasse, or U2, Potsdamer Platz
S1, S2, S25 Anhalter Bahnhof or Potsdamer Platz

Guided tours by arrangement
Tel. +49 (0)30 25 45 09-50 | Fax +49 (0)30 25 45 09-55
ausstellung@topographie.de

Staff members of the Topography of Terror documentation center managed to preserve a section of the Berlin Wall at a time when the Wall was scheduled to be removed from the city center entirely. This section of the Wall has been classified as a historical monument since 1990.

With regard to the construction planned for the area, the Topography of Terror Foundation has said, “In 1992 the Topography of Terror Foundation was founded and the decision was made to build a documentation and visitors’ center. The winning entry in the 1993 competition to design the center came from the Swiss architect Peter Zumthor. However, by July 1999 only the foundation and three stairwell towers had been built, since financial and engineering problems led to repeated delays and finally to a suspension of work on the building.
Berlin Wall History Mile

Berlin Wall History Mile

The Berlin Wall separated the two sides of Niederkirchnerstrasse and Zimmerstrasse from one another along their entire length. The border strip here was only a few meters wide, and buildings like the one that now houses the Berlin House of Representatives and today’s Federal Ministry of Finance were integrated into the inner wall. … more »

Preserved sections of the outer wall

Preserved sections of the outer wall

A 200-meter-long section of the “Grenzmauer (border wall) 75,” the fourth version of the Berlin Wall used from the mid-1970s onwards, stands on Niederkirchnerstrasse on the grounds of the Topography of Terror documentation center. Souvenir hunters chipping off bits of the concrete in 1989 and 1990 left deep gashes in this section of the wall, which today is protected by a fence. … more »