In order to quickly translate scientific findings into marketable products and services, a variety of regional, national and EU funding programmes are available in Berlin. more
Science and innovation
Science at the highest level
© Berlin Partner / Wüstenhagen
- 4 universities plus the Charité University Hospital
- 4 universities for the arts,
- 7 universities of applied sciences,
- more than 30 private universities,
- countless technology parks and incubators in the central city
- more than 70 non-university research facilities
- The Free University of Berlin and Humboldt University Berlin are two of the eleven Excellence Universities in Germany.
- Technical University Berlin enjoys a worldwide reputation in such fields as engineering, science, and information technology.
- The University of the Arts is the largest school of its kind in Europe.
- The Charité University Hospital is home to the largest medical faculty in Europe and also one of the oldest and most historic hospitals in Germany.
Vibrant exchange of knowledge and technology transfer
Companies benefit from the scientific expertise and great potential of the thousands of qualified professionals in the city. The close proximity and close networking of companies and scientific institutions guarantee a wide range of cooperation opportunities. In order to translate scientific findings into marketable products quickly, the city offers an extensive range of advice services and funding to promote innovation.
The city's technology parks and business incubators offer young technology-oriented companies favourable conditions for developing innovative technologies in partnership with the city's universities and research facilities. Numerous spin-offs from universities have made Berlin one of Europe's most sought-after hot spots for start-ups.
Research landscape and science policy
A comprehensive overview of the research landscape, the city's policies that promote science and research, and the recognition of foreign qualifications is provided by the Senate Chancellery.
You might also be interested in:
Your partners in finding the right research partners
Transfer-Allianz (information only available in German)
The Enterprise Europe Network Berlin Brandenburg provides information about innovation-oriented developments, initiatives, and programmes offered by the European Union and support in the search for business and technology partners.
Last edited: 3. July 2020