Mitte: Dorotheenstadt and Friedrichstadt
The neighborhoods Dorotheenstadt and Friedrichstadt offer many sights and shopping facilities as well as exclusive apartments.
Dorotheenstadt and Friedrichstadt are located in the southwest and west of Berlin-Mitte and are bordered by the river Spree and the adjacent Kreuzberg.
The most important streets of the area are Friedrichstraße, Französische Straße, and the boulevard Unter den Linden. Friedrichstraße was named after King Frederick I and runs from Mehringplatz to Chausseestraße at the Oranienburg Gate. It was the first business and entertainment street as well as the main traffic artery of the Berlin city center. These days, it is home to many elegant and luxurious shops, offices, apartment buildings, embassies, and cultural institutions. More affordable shopping is possible in one of the larger chain stores and department stores on Friedrichstraße.
Unter den Linden
Berlin's magnificent boulevard Unter den Linden stretches from Brandenburg Gate on Pariser Platz to Schlossbrücke over a length of one and a half kilometres and a width of 60 metres. It was built in 1573 as a riding and hunting trail between the city palace and the zoological gardens for the elector Johann Georg. Following the Dutch model, it was planted with lime and nut trees.
Bebelplatz and St. Hedwig's Cathedral
The Forum Fridericianum (today's Bebelplatz) adjoining Museum Island was built in the 18th century by Friedrich II. Originally planned as the architectural center of Prussia, the Forum Fridericianum today houses the Opera House of the Berlin State Opera (the second opera house on the boulevard next to the Komische Oper), St. Hedwig's Cathedral (the first Catholic church in Berlin), the Royal Library (State Library) and the Prince Heinrich Palais of Humboldt University.
It was not until after 1871 that the street developed into a promenade with hotels, restaurants, cafés, and shops. The famous Hotel Adlon was built here in 1906. During the Second World War a large part of the buildings were destroyed. The hotel was partially restored and gaps were filled with functional and administrative buildings during the GDR era. After the fall of the Wall, a new redesign process began and Pariser Platz got its original floor plan back. All of the local green spaces were also redesigned according to historical models and supplemented with modern street furniture. Shops rejoined the various embassies located here and the buildings of the German Bundestag.
Gendarmenmarkt with Concert Hall
Last edited: 14. July 2021