Alt-Hohenschönhausen

Alt-Hohenschönhausen

Alt-Hohenschönhausen features an architectural patchwork that offers not only prefabricated and residential buildings but also the "Wannsee of the North", an area with beautiful lakeside villas.

  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen - Villenviertel am Orankesee© Franziska Delenk
    Orankestraße
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen© Franziska Delenk
    Orankesee lido
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen© Franziska Delenk
    Oberseepark
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen© Franziska Delenk
    Obersee
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen© Franziska Delenk
    Obersee
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen - Märkisches Viertel© Franziska Delenk
    The Flusspferdhof estate between Große-Leege-Straße and Goeckestraße
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen - Märkisches Viertel© Franziska Delenk
    Strausberger Straße
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen - Märkisches Viertel© Franziska Delenk
    Freienwalder Straße
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen - Märkisches Viertel© Franziska Delenk
    Zechliner Straße
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen - Siedlung Weiße Taube© Franziska Delenk
    Plauener Straße
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen - Siedlung Malchower Weg© Franziska Delenk
    Malchower Weg
  • Alt-Hohenschönhausen - Villenviertel am Orankesee© Franziska Delenk
    Orankestraße
  • Mies van der Rohe-Haus© Reiner Hausleitner
    Mies van der Rohe House
The Alt-Hohenschönhausen neighborhood is made up of a colorful mixture of 1920s and 1930s housing estates, villas, detached houses, and prefabricated concrete high-rises. Many of the older buildings have been renovated.

Housing Estates for 25,000 People

The first prefabricated concrete apartment buildings were built between Wartenberger Straße and Gehrenseestraße between 1972 and 1975. Around 1978, a new housing estate north of Landsberger Allee (between Weißenseer Weg and Arendsweg) was built, and by 1984 the housing complexes Hohenschönhausen I and Hohenschönhausen II on Rhinstraße/Degnerstraße and on Hauptstraße followed. All in all, about 8,000 apartments with space for about 25,000 people were created.

Hohenschönhausen Palace and Tabor Church

Although there was an intention to honor the harmony between Hohenschönhausen's old village center and the new housing developments, the result was less than harmonious. The widening of the main road, which is now very busy with traffic, destroyed much of the image of the former village. However, some manor houses, the Tabor Church - the oldest building in Alt-Hohenschönhausen - and the Hohenschönhausen Palace have been preserved and are listed as historical monuments.

Villa District at Orankesee

The villa district around Orankesee lake used to be called "Wannsee of the North". The first houses were built in 1893 south of Orankesee, and a little later also around lake Obersee. The Mies van der Rohe house is also located next to the Obersee. The country house style is predominant in this area. Around the turn of the millennium, luxurious terraced and semi-detached houses were built on the banks of Orankesee. The old water tower now houses a bar and an apartment.

Märkisches Viertel and Wilhelmsberg

South of the villa district lies the neighborhood Märkisches Viertel. The four to five-storey tenement blocks here were built from the turn of the century to 1920 and are partly under monumental protection. The central square of the neighborhood is Strausberger Platz, around which various housing estates are grouped. One of them is the Flusspferdhof estate, which was built in the 1930s in the "Neues Bauen" architectural style. The residential courtyards between Große-Leege-Straße, Simon-Bolivar-Straße, Goeckstraße, and Strausberger Platz are listed as historical monuments. Another one of the neighborhoods many housing estates is Gertrudenhof, which was built in 1933 in the Bauhaus style and renovated in the 1990s.
Located between Weißenseer Weg, Landberger Allee and Altenhofer Straße, Wilhelmsberg was originally a workers' housing estate. Only a fraction has been preserved, mainly along Konrad-Wolf-Straße. The rest had to make way for the prefabricated concrete buildings built during the GDR era. The western part of the Wilhelmsberg neighborhood belongs to the district of Lichtenberg.

Housing Estates in the Southeast of Alt-Hohenschönhausen

The Weiße Taube (white dove) estate is located on both sides of Landsberger Allee between Arendsweg and Ferdinand-Schultze-Straße. The southern part belongs to Lichtenberg. The Dingelstädter Straße estate was built in the 1930s and is located east of Rhinstraße. This listed housing estate is also known as "The Family with Many Children" or "Little Moscow" and offers some relative peace and quiet because there is no through traffic. Some of its one- to two-storey buildings have tenant gardens.

Single-Family Houses in the North

The garden city on both sides of Gehrenseestraße was built as a residential area with simple detached houses starting in 1910. Immediately to its west are prefabricated concrete buildings. The Bruno Taut housing estate between Malchower Weg, Paul-König-Straße and Wartenberger Straße dates from 1926/27 and features semi-detached houses as well as gate-like houses serving as boundaries. Furthermore, there is an estate of country houses, a housing estate originally built for the war victims of World War I, an estate made up of Finnish-style huts, as well as some villas and new buildings that were built after the fall of the Wall west of Malchower Weg, near Falkenberger Chaussee.

Last edited: 9. July 2021

Portrait of Hohenschönhausen