Current language: English

Visa for an employment as an au pair

Mother with two children in the playground

Who may come to work as an au pair?

Employment as an au pair is possible for a maximum period of one year.

A visa may be issued, provided that the following preconditions are met:

  • The au pair is at least 18 years old and no more than 26 years old.
  • They already have good basic knowledge of colloquial German.
  • They have not previously worked as an au pair in Germany.
  • German is spoken as the mother tongue in the host family. If German is spoken as the family language, the employee must not come from the country of origin of either of the host parents.

How does the visa procedure work?

You must apply for your visa from the German foreign mission (embassy or general consulate).

The following documents should be enclosed with your entry application:

  • Invitation letter from the German host family, or agreement with the au pair placement agency
  • Au pair contract
  • Proof of sufficient living space (lease or abstract of title)
  • Certificate of health insurance for the au pair

Depending on each individual case, further documents may be required.

The foreign mission will consult the Federal Employment Agency as to whether the issuing of a residence title for the purpose of employment can be approved.
The foreign mission will subsequently decide whether to issue the visa.

The Foreigners’ Registration Office is generally not involved in the procedure.

Who does not need a visa?

Nationals of
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • New Zealand
  • South Korea
  • United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • United States of America

may apply for a residence permit directly after entering Germany.