The ‘Allies’ was the term referring to the French, British and American forces from 1948. During the Berlin Blockade and the Airlift the Soviets – one of the four liberating armies in 1945 - were no longer considered as such by Berliners. The Allied presence in Berlin lasted until 1994.
The lively permanent exhibition documents the 50 years of the Allies’ occupation in Berlin throughout the Cold War years, through the collapse of communism and German reunification. The chronological documentation includes a reconstruction of the Berlin Spy Tunnel, an Allied intelligence and tapping device; the original guard cabin from the crossing point 'Checkpoint Charlie and a GDR guard tower from the Wall’s perimeter and the world famous ‘Candy Bomber’. The war time airplane on display, a British Hastings TG 503, can be visited from April to November, weather permitting.
Opening hours for individual visits are Sundays every hour on the hour from 11:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Exhibits are organised in specific categories which include: military memorabilia, weapons, everyday items, photos, and cassette and video recordings. Amongst popular items are the uniforms worn by the last Allied Commanders, ‘war bride’ Ina Lathrop’s wedding dress and CARE- packages. Audio documents include radio transmissions from Berlin’s RIAS and the film programme has historical footage on the Airlift and the Western allies’ presence in Berlin. Touch screens provide information about the 1945 Potsdam Conference and the Berlin Airlift.
The museum’s mission to act as a source of historical information hosting special exhibitions, events, and meetings with eye-witnesses is all part of its programme. Guided Tours for groups, exhibition brochures, a film programme, Souvenir Shop and Cafeteria are all available.
Exhibition panels are in German, English and French. Group tours are by appointment only. Entrance is free!
|Phone:||030 81 81 99 0|
|Opening Hours:||Thu - Tue 10-18|
|Admission Fee:||Free entry|
|Guided Tours:||by appointment|