Deutscher Dom

Deutscher Dom

Since 1992 a German Parliament exhibition is on display at Berlin's Deutscher Dom entitled "Milestones - Setbacks - Sidetracks".

Mitte - Dorotheen- und Friedrichstadt

© Franziska Delenk

German Cathedral at Gendarmenmarkt

Berlin's Deutscher Dom – not to be confused with the Berliner Dom which is the largest protestant church in Berlin – is best known as one of the three buildings which make up the spectacular ensemble in the Gendarmenmarkt square in Mitte including the Französischer Dom (French Cathedral) and the Konzerthaus. The Deutscher Dom was erected in 1708 under Elector Friedrich III, who had crowned himself King Friedrich I in 1701 and was intent, along with his wife Queen Sophie Charlotte, in turning Berlin into a royal residence to rival Versailles.

The building is by Martin Grünberg and was given its galleried "dome" (hence the name Dom) originating from the French "dome" or cupola, in 1785 by Carl von Gontard. It was known as the Neue Kirche (New Church) and only later referred to as the German Church. It is considered remarkable because of its five-sided floor plan. In 1780 Friedrich's grandson, Friedrich the Great (1740-1786) commissioned Carl von Gontard to build two non-functional domes for the existing churches to offset the Comedy Theatre next to the ensembles which were inspired by Christopher Wren's and Inigo Jones's domes on St Paul's Cathedral in London. The French dome housed the Huguenot Museum whereas the German dome was the address for the Berlin Historical Association.

Another victim of Allied bombings, the building was badly damaged during the war. The church and tower burned down in 1943 and were slowly restored between 1982 and 1996. Since 1992 a German Parliament exhibition can be seen here entitled "Wege, Irrwege and Umwege", translated as "Milestones - Setbacks - Sidetracks". No religious services are held here.


Gendarmenmarkt 1
10117 Berlin
030 22 73 04 31
Opening Hours
October to April: Tue-Sun and public holidays 10am-6pm
May to September:Tue-Sun and public holidays 10am-7pm
Admission Fee
Admission free
Guided Tours
daily at 11am, 1pm and 4pm

Public transportation


Source: / Tobias Kneschke

| Last edited: 4. August 2017