Current language: English

Visa for a marriage in Germany

Hands of a wedding couple

Do you wish to get married or enter into a same-sex life partnership in Germany?

If so, the fiancé(e) living in Germany must first apply to a German registry office for a date on which to establish the marriage or life partnership.
The fiancé(e) living abroad will then apply to the German foreign mission (embassy or general consulate) for a national visa for the purpose of marriage.

The following items of evidence are especially important for the visa application:

  • Written confirmation of the date for establishing the marriage or entering into the life partnership
  • Simple German language skills
  • Copy of the residence title and national passport of the foreign fiancé(e) living in Germany, or in the case of a German fiancé(e), a copy of their German passport or ID card

Depending on each individual case, further documents may be required.

The foreign mission will receive your visa application and forward it to the Foreigners’ Registration Office, which will issue a written invitation to the fiancé(e) living in Berlin.
At the appointment, the following documents, in particular, may be required:

  • Certificate of unmarried status
  • If there was a previous marriage, presentation of the divorce decree with a notice confirming that the judgement is now final and cannot be appealed

Depending on each individual case, further documents may be required.

After the examination procedure has been completed, the Foreigners’ Registration Office will issue its response to the foreign mission.
The foreign mission must then process the visa application further and decide whether or not to issue the visa.