Current language: English

New Synagogue Berlin – Centrum Judaicum Foundation

Dome of the Synagogue of the Jewish Community Berlin

The foundation "New Synagogue Berlin - Centrum Judaicum" presents the history of the synagogue and Jewish life in its permanent exhibition.

Constructed in Moorish-Byzantine style to be the largest Synagogue of its day and seating over 3,000 people, it was a magnificent and bold symbol of a thriving Jewish community. True to the original role of the Jewish synagogue, to double as a place of worship and a congregation centre, the synagogue is today a foundation devoted to documenting and archiving the presence of Jewish life in Berlin and to preserves the community’s memory.

20th century history took its toll on the building. Attacked by Nazi thugs during the 1938 pogroms, largely destroyed by Allied bombs in 1943 and then demolished as it had become a ruin during the GDR, the restored Synagogue was finally inaugurated in 1995. The main attraction is the permanent exhibition which documents the synagogue’s history, and the place it occupied in the everyday life of a thriving Jewish community who lived and worshipped here until WWII.

Exhibit highlights include architectural fragments and the remaining masonry of the former Synagogue is today secured by a glass and steel structure. The outlines of the former building are still visible in a ground plan laid out to mark the former perimeter. Preserved decorative furnishings from the original building, a Torah scroll and an eternal flame bring to life the rich complexity and variety of Jewish life and culture in Berlin until WWII.

Guided tours are available to visit the space behind the restored building and the former main room of the 19th century Synagogue. To book guided tours it is necessary to contact the Centrum Judaicum in advance. Group guided tours are available as well as special tours on "Jewish life in the area surrounding the New Synagogue".

Last admissions 30 minutes before closing.

Closed on Saturdays and Jewish holidays.

Map view

A map view follows. Skip map

City map

End of map view

Oranienburger Str. 28
10117 Berlin
Opening Hours
April to September: Mon-Fri 10:00-18:00, Sun 10:00-19:00 (Dome open)
October to March: Sun-Thu 10:00-18:00, Fri 10:00-15:00 (Dome closed)
+49 30 880 283 16
Admission Fee
7 Euro, red. 4.50 Euro, family ticket 20 Euro

Public transportation

Source: / Tobias Droz

Last edited: 25 March 2022