Blankenfelde is very sparsely populated. The core of the former village with its village green and church is under monumental protection. Fields spread out around it.
A fieldstone church, detached family homes, and lots of fields: Blankenfelde is the most sparsely populated district of Berlin and has retained its village character.
Fieldstone Church, Manor House and Public Park
Blankenfelde was first mentioned in a document in 1284 and has been part of Greater Berlin since 1920. The 14th century fieldstone church, the manor house from the late 19th century, and the Botanical Gardens, which were originally planned as a school garden, bear witness to bygone times.
The historic Stadtgut Blankenfelde with its manor house is currently being renovated and revitalized. Social projects and artisans are to move in, a beekeeping already exist. The Blankenfelde-Pankow Botanical Public Park was created between 1909 and 1912 as a central Berlin school garden. Today, it is a popular area for recreation featuring botanical gardens, historic greenhouses, an arboretum, and fallow deer enclosures.
New Houses on Old Fields
More recently, the suburban settlement of Blankenfelde, featuring many green spaces and single-family houses, as well as the Arkenberge allotment gardens were built. Up until the 1980s, Blankenfelde's wastewater from the capital was still being spread on large sewage fields. These days, there are plans for the construction of thousands of new apartments on the open spaces, especially on Elisabethaue.
Last edited: 29. June 2021