CORONA-VIRUS IN BERLIN
- Informationen zur Antragsbearbeitung und Bedienung im Landesamt für Einwanderung
- Aktuelle Informationen des Landes Berlin zum Thema Corona-Virus finden Sie unter www.berlin.de/corona.
Residence permit for qualified skilled workers with vocational training
Issuance or extension of a temporary residence permit for qualified skilled workers without an academic qualification who wish to engage in qualified employment for which they are qualified due to their vocational training.
The residence permit is issued for up to four years. If the employment contract has a shorter term or if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency is limited to a shorter period, in an individual case the temporary residence permit will be issued for less than four years and extended.
Employment or concrete job offer
There should already be an employment contract or at least a draft.
Approval of the Federal Employment Agency
As a rule, a temporary residence permit for the purpose of employment may only be granted if the Federal Employment Agency has agreed to this.
Occupation practice permit
If a permit is required for professional practice (e.g. for nurses), the person in question must prove they hold that permit or that it has been promised before the temporary residence permit is issued.
Equivalence of the qualification
For the skilled worker’s temporary residence permit the person in question must hold a German professional qualification following training lasting at least two years or hold an equivalent foreign professional qualification.
As a rule, a foreign professional qualification must be verified by a recognition body and its equivalence established.
More information on this subject can be found in the “More information” section
An adequate retirement pension scheme (only if you are over 45 years of age)
For the issuance of the temporary residence permit as a qualified skilled worker, as a rule persons over the age of 45 must have an adequate retirement pension scheme.
- The salary must correspond to at least 55 per cent of the annual calculation limit in the general pension insurance scheme. For the year 2022, this corresponds to a monthly gross income of at least 3,878.00 euros.
- The salary may be lower if an adequate retirement pension scheme has already been secured from other public or private sources.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
An employment relationship in Germany must be established. Business premises in Germany are required.
Proof of qualification as a qualified skilled worker with academic education
Supporting documents (original) confirming
- completed German vocational training lasting a minimum of two years, or
- a foreign professional qualification recognised as being equivalent (recognition decision)
- Form "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis" (filled out)
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Only required for the first application.
Occupation practice permit
Only if required (see 'Prerequisites')
Lease or proof of home ownership
Rental cost / expenses for property
Proof of the current rent (e.g. current account statement)
Certificate of employment (Only in case of extension)
Certificate from the employer regarding the duration of the unfinished employment not older than 14 days)
Salary slips: If the residence permit is extended for further employment with the same employer
Documents on the net earnings of the first 2 and the last 2 months
in the case of statutory health insurance:
- electronic health card with photograph
- current confirmation of the health insurance
- proof that you have paid your contributions, for example through account statements
- certificate issued by the insurer (The certificate must state the type, scope and duration of the insurance. Please inform your insurer that you need the certificate for a residence permit for employment.)
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis (job description)
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Leaflet "Health insurance"
- For the first issuance: 100.00 euros
- For an extension by up to three months: 96.00 euros
- For an extension by more than three months: 93.00 euros
- Up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros
- From the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros
Average time to process request
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.