Issuance of a residence permit for the purpose of attending the Working-Holiday- or Youth-Mobility-Programme
- Foreign nationals from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada and New Zealand may apply for this residence permit in Germany.
- In contrast, foreign nationals from Korean Republic may apply for this residence permit only in exceptional cases (see below) in Germany.
Working-Holiday-Agreement between Germany and Australia, Israel, Japan or New Zealand
Foreign nationals from Australia, Israel, Japan and New Zealand may apply for this residence permit in Germany.
Youth-Mobility-Agreement between Germany and Canada
Foreign nationals from Canada may apply for this residence permit in Germany.
Working-Holiday-Agreement between Germany and the Republic of Korea
Foreign nationals from Korean Republic may apply for this residence permit only in exceptional cases in Germany. This is possible when an applicant from the Republic of Korea lives in Germany with a residence permit, e.g. for attending a language course.
Between 18 and 35 years of age
The following age limits apply for attending the programmes:
- for Australia, Israel, Japan, Korea and New Zealand between 18 and 30 years of age,
- for Canada between 18 and 35 years of age.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Foreign travellers’ health insurance that is valid for one year
Proof of funds in the amount of at least 2,000 Euros
e.g. bank statement
the form “Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
available in German, English, Frensc, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- Rental agreement and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- 56.00 to 100.00 euros (depending on the technical effort)
- Free of charge for Japanese citizens
Average time to process request
The residence permit will generally be issued on the same day.