CORONA-VIRUS IN BERLIN
- Informationen zur Antragsbearbeitung und Bedienung im Landesamt für Einwanderung
- Aktuelle Informationen des Landes Berlin zum Thema Corona-Virus finden Sie unter www.berlin.de/corona.
Residence permit for the purpose of studying
Issuance and extension of a residence permit for the purpose of studying
You must be enrolled or have conditional approval for studying in order to be issued a residence permit.
A personal interview is required
Main residence in Berlin
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit)
Only required for first-time application
Proof of secure livelihood
- For the initial issue: e.g. blocked account (Sperrkonto) at a German Bank with 10,032.00 euros / submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form / scholarship / notarized declaration from parents securing the livelihood for the duration of the studies with proof of the income of the parents in the last six months
- For the extension: bank statements of the last six months
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
- Certificate of enrolment or conditional approval for studying
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- Leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance"
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- 100.00 euros for the initial issuance
- 93.00 euros for each extension
- For Turkish citizens: a maximum of 28.80 euros
- For scholarship holders: Free of charge (only on a scholarship from German public funds, a German foundation or a program financed by the EU)
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence title expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.