Prostitution activity/sex work - Apply for registration certificate
On July 1, 2017, the Prostitute Protection Act (ProstSchG) came into force. Since then, persons engaged in sex work in Germany are obliged to register their activity with the responsible authority and to apply for a registration certificate. The registration obligations are intended to ensure that sex workers have access to comprehensive information and sources of help, and are thus better able to know and exercise their rights.
Sex workers within the meaning of the Prostitution Protection Act are all persons, who provide sexual services against payment.
A sexual service is a sexual act of at least one person on or in front of at least one other person directly present against payment or allowing a sexual act on or in front of one's own person against payment.
No sexual services are performances of an exclusively performing nature, in which none of the other persons present is sexually actively involved or directly present (e.g. pornography, table dance without the involvement of the audience, telephone sex, web cam).
You have to register if you engage in sex work and offer sexual intercourse, but also if you work as a dominatrix or dominus and BDSM service provider, or as an erotic or tantric masseur and accept money or jewelry, clothing, cars, cell phones, etc. as payment. Even if you only occasionally engage in sex work, you must register.
You have to register in the city where you want to work primarily. If you have several places of work where you want to work equally often, you can decide for yourself where you want to register. It is important that you appear personally for registration.
If you work mainly in Berlin, you can register at Probea Berlin in the district Tempelhof-Schöneberg in the town hall of Schöneberg. In Berlin the consultations are free of charge.
The law provides for two consecutive consultations for confirmation of registration:
- Please arrange your first appointment directly at the Berlin Center for Health Counseling according to §10 ProstSchG. The counseling center is also located in the Schöneberg City Hall.
- Please arrange the (follow-up) appointment at Probea Berlin. At Probea there will be a (second) information and counselling session. A registration certificate will then be issued. Upon request, Probea Berlin will also be happy to issue a pseudonymised registration certificate (alias certificate - Aliasbescheinigung).
The sex worker must be at least 18 years of age when registering.
Information for pregnant individuals
The registration certificate may not be issued if the person is an expectant mother in the last six weeks before delivery at the time of registration.
Appearance in person
You must have attended a counseling session at the Berlin Center for Health Counseling in accordance with §10 ProstSchG. A certificate was issued to you about this. The corresponding website, including all contact details for making an appointment, can be found under "More information".
Identity card, passport, passport substitute or identity card substitute containing a photograph.
If you are a foreign national and not entitled to freedom of movement, you must provide documents (German residence permit) that show that you have permission to take up employment or self-employed activities in Germany.
Evidence of health consultation pursuant to § 10 ProstSchG
Certification of attending a health consultation pursuant to § 10 ProstSchG in Berlin, during the past three months.
Registration certificate (Meldebescheinigung) / delivery address as an alternative
Current registration certificate / registration confirmation of residence or main residence, or if you do not have a permanent residence in Germany, proof of a delivery address.
Important notice: to specify a delivery address, you must authorize the person who is to receive your mail at the delivery address to do so in writing. A form is available for this purpose (see chapter Forms).
A recent passport photograph is required for the issuance of the registration certificate(s). The photo should be 45 millimeters high and 35 millimeters wide.
- Prostituiertenschutzgesetz (ProstSchG) - § 2 Begriffsbestimmungen
- Prostituiertenschutzgesetz (ProstSchG) - § 3 Anmeldepflicht für Prostituierte
- Prostituiertenschutzgesetz (ProstSchG) - § 4 Zur Anmeldung erforderliche Angaben und Nachweise
- Prostituiertenschutzgesetz (ProstSchG) - § 5 Anmeldebescheinigung; Gültigkeit
- Prostituiertenschutzgesetz (ProstSchG) - § 6 Inhalt der Anmeldebescheinigung und der Aliasbescheinigung
- Prostituiertenschutzgesetz (ProstSchG) - § 7 Informationspflicht der Behörde; Informations- und Beratungsgespräch
Average time to process request
- Prostitution activity/sex work - Health counseling for prostitutes
- Website of the Berlin center for health consultation pursuant to § 10 ProstSchG
- Further consulting services for sex workers in Berlin
- Information on the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Corona virus: General hygiene concept for sex workers and their customers
- Engagement in prostitution/sex work - Renew registration certificate
The Tempelhof-Schöneberg district office is responsible for issuing a registration certificate for sex work activities throughout Berlin.
Show other authorities offering these services on the main Service Portal.