Current language: English

Bauhaus-Archiv Museum für Gestaltung

Bauhaus-Archiv Museum für Gestaltung

The Bauhaus Archive/Museum is the most comprehensive collection documenting the history and impact of the Bauhaus movement, also known as Bauhaus Workshop, founded by Walter Gropius in Weimar.

Housed in a remarkable building in Tiergarten, the Bauhaus Archive/Museum of Design in Berlin was constructed to a modified design by Bauhaus founder Walter Gropius.

Despite the relatively short period of time in which it operated (1919-1933), relocating from Weimar to Dessau and then to Berlin, it became one of the 20th century’s most influential schools of architecture, art and design of the 20th century and its aesthetic vision and educational philosophy never lost its special reputation. Illustrious Bauhaus movement members included Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky, Lyonel Feininger, Oskar Schlemmer and Laszlo Moholy-Nagy. Among the exhibits are numerous objects and some icons such as the Bauhaus lamp and the Wassily chair, as well as 250 utility objects designed for home and office.

Special exhibitions explore a variety of Bauhaus themes and history

The Bauhaus ideal of combining all the arts in an ideal unity had aimed to eradicate the distinction between fine and applied arts and some of the first prototypes for the technological mass reproduction of objects can be seen here. Paintings, drawings, sculptures and models are among the works bequeathed by Walter Gropius, Herbert Bayer and Lucia Moholy.

The specialist library is stocked with over 26,000 books, journals and catalogue material as well as manuscripts, letters and a variety of publications. A Cafeteria and Bauhaus Shop are on site. The Audio Tour is available in many languages.

Temporary bauhaus archive in Charlottenburg

From June 2018 until the reopening of the new museum, the Bauhaus Archive has presented itself in the "temporary bauhaus archive" at Knesebeckstraße 1-2 in Berlin-Charlottenburg.

Map view

A map view follows. Skip map

City map

End of map view

Klingelhöferstraße 14
10785 Berlin
(030) 254 0020
Opening Hours
Closed (The museum is being renovated).

Public transportation

Source: Bauhaus-Archiv Museum für Gestaltung, Bearbeitung:

Last edited: 9 May 2023