Bauhaus Archive - Museum of Design

Bauhaus Archive - Museum of Design

The Bauhaus Archive in Berlin-Tiergarten contains the world's largest collection of art, design and literature relating to the Bauhaus School.

  • Bauhaus Archive© dpa
  • Bauhaus Archive©
  • Bauhaus Archive© dpa
    Dining table with steel-tube chairs by Ludwig van der Rohe and Lilly Reich at an exhibition in the Bauhaus Archive.
The Bauhaus building known as Bauhaus Archive, located in Berlin's Tiergarten, functions today as a documentation centre with exhibition spaces. Designed by Walter Gropius in 1964, it was built by Gropius' long-time associate Alex Cvijanovic (1971 to 1978) who modified it in accordance with the Berlin site, including its present front ramp recognizable because of its particular roof, reminiscent of an ocean liner's smokestacks. The original, architecturally revolutionary, Bauhaus building was designed by Walter Gropius and built in Dessau in 1925.

Exhibitions at Bauhaus Archive

This popular and accessible exhibition includes an introduction in English and German to the overall context of the times and a permanent exhibition with original artefacts such as furniture, ceramics, sculpture and photographs from the Bauhaus Workshop from the 1920s. Gropius' original model of the Dessau building is also on exhibit.

Photo Gallery (in German)

  • Die Sammlung Bauhaus© dpa
    Die Sammlung Bauhaus

The Bauhaus Art School

The Bauhaus, which stands for the early 20th century modernist aesthetic movement and educational philosophy, was founded as a state-run school by Walter Gropius in Weimar. The Bauhaus workshop, as it was known, operated from 1919 to 1933 and regained public interest in West Germany after the war. Spanning art forms including fine arts, photography, industrial design, architecture and urban design it was forced to move from provincial Thuringia to Dessau and then to Berlin following threats from the Nazi regime. Bauhaus members included Klee, Kandinsky, Schlemmer and Feiniger.

Interesting sights nearby

The Villa von der Heydt in its immediate vicinity, is an interesting example of one of the last remaining 19th century classical town villas in this part of West Berlin. The Grand Hotel Esplanade on the banks of the nearby canal known as Landwehrkanal Ufer is worth noticing while strolling past.

Bauhaus Archive Information


Klingelhöferstraße 14
10785 Berlin
+49 (0) 30 254002 0
Opening Hours
Wed-Mon 10-17, Tue closed
Admission Fee
Wed, Thu, Fri 7.00 Euro / reduced 4.00 Euro
Sat, Sun, Mon 8.00 Euro / reduced 5.00 Euro
Guided Tours
by arrangement (mail:
Walter Gropius, Alexander Cvijanovic

Public transportation



Ein Mann fotografiert bei sonnigen Wetter das Brandenburger Tor
© dpa

Attractions & Sights

Berlin’s top attractions, palaces and monuments with address, photos, public transport details and more

Source: | All texts, photographs and graphics on this site are protected by copyright. They may not be copied, reproduced, translated or used otherwise.

| Last edited: 18. April 2016