Corona information on school and daycare
From March 9, 2021, alternating lessons will take place for grades 1 to 6.From March 17, 2021, grades 10 to 13 will also be taught face-to-face in half the class in an alternating model. The compulsory attendance in schools remains suspended, special regulations apply to final classes.
Schooling Hotline +49 30 90227-6000 | Daycare Centers Hotline +49 30 90227-6600
Recognition of School Qualifications
Bewertung von Abschlüssen durch die Zeugnisanerkennungsstelle
- Certificate of vocational education (BBR),
- Advanced vocational qualification (EBBR),
- Intermediate school leaving certificate (MSA),
- University of Applied Sciences entrance qualification,
- Subject-related higher education entrance qualification,
- General higher education entrance qualification (Abitur)
Exception: recognition of a foreign qualification to apply to universityIf you want to apply to a university or university of applied sciences in Berlin with a certificate obtained abroad, your certificate will be recognised by
No personal office hours
The certificate recognition office currently does not offer any personal or telephone office hours. We would be happy to help you by e-mail: email@example.comYou can still submit your application by letter post or through the letterbox (to the left of the main entrance):
- Senatsverwaltung für Bildung, Jugend und Familie
Certificate Recognition Office
- A German state authority (e.g., German diplomatic missions or citizens’ offices),
- Local courts,
- Local notaries or
- A local embassy or consulate in your home country.
Recognition only applies to Berlin
The assessments of the certificate recognition office apply exclusively to use in the State of Berlin. Unfortunately, certificate assessments cannot be carried out for other federal states.
For procedural reasons, the use within the State of Berlin must be proven to the certificate recognition office if necessary.
Application and documents
The application for a certificate assessment can be made either in person during office hours or in writing. The application can also be made by an authorized representative.
You must always submit the following documents with the application:
- Application for assessment of the submitted documents as a general school leaving certificate: please use the form below.
- Certificates and, if applicable, higher education entrance examination (certified copies)
- Transcripts/course achievements or final degrees (certified copies)
- German translations of the documents by a translator / interpreter sworn for the German courts and authorities (certified copies). This is not necessary for documents originally in English or French.
- Copy of passport, identification card or registration certificate, if applicable, displaced person ID
- Tabular curriculum vitae
Application for the evaluation of documents as a general school leaving certificate
Application for pre-certification
Official certification of documents
The copies must be certified by a German authority (e.g., citizens’ office, German embassy, German consulate). In the case of a personal application, official certification is not required if you present the original documents for viewing and bring simple photocopies with you.
When submitting a written application, please send your documents to:
Senatsverwaltung für Bildung, Jugend und Familie
Certificate Recognition Office
The examination or recognition of a foreign or domestic school leaving certificate is subject to a fee:
- Examination of school leaving certificates obtained abroad: 55 euros
- Examination of school leaving certificates obtained in Germany: 45 euros
You do not have to pay the fee on site but only pay once you have received a written request for payment from us.
Please come as early as possible, as the issuance of a waiting number will be closed early if there is high demand.
Recognition of the Berlin university of applied sciences entrance qualification
Anyone who has prematurely left the upper secondary school, a college or evening classes in the State of Berlin without passing the Abitur examination can bring in their achievements for the university of applied sciences entrance qualification. This also applies to those who have passed the Abitur examination for non-school students.
The application together with the other documents will not be accepted by the certificate recognition office but by a separate office of the Senate Department for Education, Youth and Family.