Coronavirus in Berlin
- Please note our current information: Processing customer applications at the Berlin Immigration Office during the Corona pandemic
- You can find information on the Corona virus on the special page of the Senate Chancellery of the Governing Mayor of Berlin
Departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union (Brexit)
Update on 13.11.2020
The Federal Government has passed legislation to supplement the provisions in the Withdrawal Agreement between the EU and the United Kingdom by regulating the rights and duties of UK nationals in Germany.
In order to stay in Germany in future, UK nationals will require either a residence title or another document proving their right of residence in Germany. UK nationals already living in Germany are required to notify their local Foreigners Authority of their residence. They will then receive a residence document for UK nationals (Aufenthaltsdokument-GB).
You can find further useful information about this in our FAQs.
Who is a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement?
Are you a UK national or a family member of a UK national and already living in Germany in accordance with EU law or moving to Germany by 31.12.2020? Will you continue to live in Germany after 31.12.2020?
If so, then you have a right of residence here conferred by EU law.
What do you need to bear in mind?
If you are a beneficiary under the Withdrawal Agreement and want to continue to live in Berlin, you need to register with us online by 30.06.2021 at the latest (so-called notification of residence).
- Important: Did you already register with us online before 13.11.2020? In that case you do not need to register again. You have already notified us of your residence.
What happens next?
If you have registered online, you will be invited to an appointment at Berlin Immigration Office (LEA) from 01.01.2021 onwards. Once you have supplied all the necessary documentation, we will order your residence document (Aufenthaltsdokument-GB) from the Federal Printers and send it to you by post.
Despite the corona pandamic we already started to invite and serve registered british citizens. We will invite all UK nationals, their relatives and other close family members to an appointment by email in the course of 2021.
In the meantime we kindly ask for your patience! Your residence is lawful once you have registered online.
- Important: Please regularly check your emails, including your junk folder, for an invitation to an appointment at Berlin Immigration Office.
- Please print the invitation and bring it to your appointment.
Any further questions?
The data requested on our online form will be processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.