Booking an appointment
- I would like to book an appointment.
- My query is not covered by the options offered in the appointment booking system. What should I do now?
- When should I book an appointment?
- My residence title will expire before my appointment. Is that a problem?
- What should I bring to my appointment?
- Can I change or delete my appointment?
- Are no appointment slots available?
- Will an appointment be sent to me?
- Can I come even without an appointment?
- Do you have a Schengen visa?
I would like to book an appointment.
For most residence titles, you can book an appointment at the Foreigners’ Registration Office:
Tip: For some services, you do not need to come to the Foreigners’ Registration Office. Instead, you can go to any citizens’ registration office (Bürgeramt) if you have booked an appointment:
Important: An appointment agreement for the issue of a residence permit shall not be accepted if:
- an asylum procedure has not yet been completed, or
- You possess a Temporary suspension of deportation (Duldung), or
- you have entered Germany illegally without the required visa.
In such a case, please visit us during our opening hours in units A (asylum) or R (return) at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer.
My query is not covered by the options offered in the appointment booking system. What should I do now?
For certain residence titles and services, it is not possible to book an appointment. However, we can also provide you with services not offered in the online appointment booking system.
If the service that you require is not offered in the online appointment booking system, you need to come with a waiting number.
Important: Do not book an appointment for a “false” service. If you book an appointment despite the fact that the service that you require is not offered in the online appointment booking system, we cannot serve you, even though you have made an appointment. Please come with a waiting number.
When should I book an appointment?
It is generally possible to extend residence titles no earlier than 8 weeks before they are scheduled to expire.
If possible, you should book an appointment 4-6 weeks before your visa, residence permit or EU Blue Card is scheduled to expire.
Important: Book an appointment before your residence title expires.
My residence title will expire before my appointment. Is that a problem?
Was your residence title still valid on the date on which you booked your appointment?
If so, your residence title will be considered as continuing in the federal territory until the scheduled date of your appointment. This also applies to the ancillary provisions for your visa. This means e.g. that you can continue to work or study until your appointment.
Important: This applies only on condition that you attend the appointment you have booked.
Moreover, you can travel abroad only within the scope of validity of the residence title most recently granted to you.
What should I bring to my appointment?
At the end of the appointment booking procedure, you will receive an appointment confirmation, which you must print out. This confirmation lists all the required documents and fees. Please bring all of these in full – together with your appointment confirmation.
Important: Please do not cling, staple or stick the documents you bring with you. This helps us to save time with your operation.
Can I change or delete my appointment?
Appointment slots are in short supply, so please delete your appointment if you do not need it. Many thanks.
You can also change your appointment if other slots are available.
To change or delete your appointment, please use the online appointment booking system of the Berlin Foreigners’ Registration Office auf.
Are no appointment slots available?
It is possible that all the appointment slots are booked up. This does not mean that there is a technical fault.
However, new appointment slots become available all the time. Please just try again at a later date.
Will an appointment be sent to me?
The Foreigners’ Registration Office does not send out any invitations to extend residence titles.
Therefore, you need to ensure that you book an appointment in a timely manner.
Can I come even without an appointment?
As a general rule, you can receive almost every service provided by the Foreigners’ Registration Office without an appointment.
In order to do this, you need to come with a waiting number during office hours.
Please inform yourself beforehand, to which location you have to go to:
Please also note the following:
- You should expect quite a long wait.
- We cannot guarantee that we will be able to resolve your matter conclusively.
- It is possible that there will be no waiting numbers left. The queues are particularly long after long weekends and national holidays.
- In order to transfer a residence title to a new passport, an appointment is always required.
Do you have a Schengen visa?
A Schengen visa (Visa Category C) is issued for short stays, e.g. for visits, tourism purposes or business trips.
A visa of this kind always expires as soon as its expiry date has ended.
Schengen visas can be extended only in exceptional cases, e.g. in the event of serious illness.
- Information about the prerequisites, documents and fees
- Please note: The extension of a Schengen-Visa is only possible at the location Keplerstraße
- It is not possible to book an appointment for this purpose
As a rule, a Schengen visa cannot be converted into a residence permit.
Therefore, with a Schengen visa, you cannot extend your permitted stay by booking an appointment or applying for a residence permit. More information