Children and Adolescents with disabilities

Two children in a wheelchair with accompanying persons

Integration status in the children’s day care centre

Independent of the type and severity of the handicap, every child in Berlin has the right to a seat in a children’s day care. Normally, children with a handicap are supported together with other children in a group with the help of specialised teaching staff. There are groups of handicapped children only in individual cases.

After children’s day care registration, it is possible to apply for special support for your child with the youth services department in your neighbourhood. This will not result in additional care costs for you. The information portal of the Senate Administration for Education, Youth, and Families helps you find a children’s day care centre near you.

Inclusive schooling or special types of schools?

Berlin has set itself the goal of making all schools inclusive in order to ensure the inclusion of all pupils, both with and without handicaps. Starting with the 2016/2017 school year, several schools will offer inclusive classes. There are also resource centres for pupils with a handicap. These schools have different focuses:

  • Sight
  • Hearing
  • Physical and motor skills development
  • Language
  • Learning
  • Mental development
  • Emotional and social development
  • Autistic handicap
  • Long-term illnesses

A list of all schools in Berlin are presented including the school type. The support focus may also be selected.

Individual case support

Individual case support offers special advice on providing intense care to children and youths with handicaps according to their abilities. Specifically, measures can include early care, support at school, or help with living in society. Individual case support includes work with the family of the person with the handicap and their social environment and has the goal of enabling them to lead the greatest possible independent life. Individual case support is offered by social service providers. The youth services departments of the respective districts are responsible.
The requirements are:

  • You require social assistance
  • A significant and permanent handicap is present
  • Services from the Agency for Labour, the Ministry of Integration, pension providers, and health insurance providers have been rejected

More information for people with a handicap is available via people with disabilities.