Recognition of qualifications as a teacher
If you seek an employment as a teacher in Berlin in the state school service, but earned your teaching diploma abroad, the equivalence of that diploma with one qualifying for Berlin must be assessed.
Please submit your application to the accreditation authority that will decide on the recognition of your qualification.
Anerkennung von Lehramtsabschlüssen (Recognition of teaching diplomas)
Booklet in german language
Foreign teaching diplomas
The application procedure
If you have completed your teacher training abroad, you must have your diploma recognised before you can be employed as teacher in Berlin for an unlimited period. You will be required to pay a fee for this service.Please refer to the booklet Recognition of qualifications as a teacher (Anerkennung von Lehramtsabschlüssen) for further information and application documents.
You can already submit your application for recognition of your qualification as a teacher from abroad. Within four months after you have submitted your application together with all documents required, you will receive a written notification of the outcome.
There are two alternatives for application purposes:
- 1. Brief assessment notice – you will be charged a fee in the amount of EUR 55.00*, or
- 2. Detailed assessment notice – you will be charged a fee in the amount of EUR 222.00 Euro.
If the assessment of your application shows that you did not complete your training as a teacher abroad, you will be charged a fee in the amount of EUR 55.00.
*The administrative fees listed apply to any applications submitted after May 2, 2018.
Note: Please do not submit your application documents by e-mail, as the receipt of large quantities of data cannot be guaranteed.
All documents in foreign languages must be accompanied by a translation into German, in some cases by a sworn translator. Translations of foreign documents which are not written in the Latin alphabet must additionally include a transliteration in accordance with the ISO standard.
You may present the documents required in copy and original in person during office hours. Certified copies will not be necessary in this case.
The recognition decision
The recognition procedure will determine:
- whether the qualification documented by you can actually be considered as a completed teacher training and
- whether the teacher training abroad is equivalent to one obtained in Berlin so that you are equally qualified to be employed as a teacher in Berlin.
If your qualification is recognised by us, you may apply as a native speaker for applicable teaching job offers (e. g. at the State Europe School Berlin).
If you are not sure about your foreign teaching qualification, you can obtain detailed information from the Anabin Database, an offer by the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen – ZAB) at the Secretariat of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany (Sekretariat der Ständigen Konferenz der Kultusminister der Länder in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland – KMK).
Requirements for recognition as a completed teacher training qualification
- Requirements for recognition as a completed teacher training qualification in EU member states
- Requirements for recognition as a completed teacher training qualification in non-EU member states
If the differences in your training as a teacher are such that it cannot be considered as equivalent to the one obtained in Berlin, conditions will be imposed which you have to fulfil prior to full recognition. Such differences may be, for example, if:
- academic and examination achievements in a second teaching subject have not been established in the extent that is required or are totally missing (in Germany teachers must always be qualified in at least two teaching subjects),
- there is documented period of a practical attachment at a school completed with the second state examination comparable with the Berlin preparatory service,
- evidence of German language proficiency at the level of the German Certificate, Goethe Institute, C2 (Major German Language Diploma) required for an employment at Berlin schools is missing.
The Accreditation Office for Foreign Teaching Diplomas
Room 2 B 07
Phone: +49 (0)30 90227 – 5724
Room 2 B 05
Phone: +49 (0)30 90227 – 6241
Room 2 B 07
Phone: +49 (0)30 90227 – 6146
9 – 12 a.m.
4 – 6 p.m.
Consultation by phone
2 – 3 p.m.
10 – 12 a.m.
2 – 3 p.m.
German teaching qualifications
Teaching qualifications earned in another federal state of Germany
The second state examination for the teaching profession is always recognised and entitles you to work as a teacher at a state school in Berlin.
In most cases you will be eligible to start preparatory service if you have completed the first state examination for the teaching profession or have earned a Master of Education degree in a German federal state other than Berlin. Eligibility will only be denied in exceptional cases, for instance if qualifications in the subjects are not awarded in Berlin.
The competent applications office decides on admission to preparatory service.
A decision on your assignment to a teaching position in Berlin will only be made if there are plans to recruit you to teaching or preparatory service at a school in Berlin. You are not required to file an application in these cases.
Master of Education earned at a university in Berlin
According to the Berlin Teacher Training Act (Berliner Lehrkräftebildungsgesetz – LBiG), a Master of Education earned at a university in Berlin entitles the applicant to acceptance into preparatory service for a teaching position. A formal equivalency assessment with the first state examination is no longer necessary.