Granting and extension of a temporary residence permit for school education or qualified vocational training in a company
- The temporary residence permit entitles the holder to engage in (depending on the type of training) an occupation lasting no more than 10 hours per week. Self-employment is not permitted.
- In most cases it will not be possible to grant any other temporary residence permit during the training, except where the person has a legal entitlement.
- The temporary residence permit can be extended for up to 12 months following completion of the vocational training. This time shall be used to find a place of employment. The position must reflect the professional qualifications acquired.
Qualified vocational training
The vocational training must lead to a professional qualification that is recognised by the state or is regulated according to a comparable system.
Sufficient language skills
The language competency required for the completion of the vocational training must be assured. In most cases this will mean sufficient proficiency in the German language equivalent to level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Exceptions are only permitted if the training institution provides individual language development courses as part of the training.
In most cases it will not be possible to grant a temporary residence permit for a language course intended to develop this language proficiency.
For vocational training in a school or theoretical setting: recognised educational institution
The training can be completed at vocational colleges or private sector educational establishments.
Proof of Income
Subsistence must be ensured by own means or a commitment by a third party for the duration of the training. €720 must be available as monthly income.
Main residence in Berlin
A personal interview is required
The interview should, if possible, take place by appointment.
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
Only required when applying for a residence permit for the first time.
For company training: Form "Antrag auf Erlaubnis einer Beschäftigung" (filled out)
For company training: Form "Stellenbeschreibung" (filled out)
Contract for school or vocational education (original)
Proof of livelihoodt (original)
As proof of a secure livelihood during the training suffice:
- Escrow account at a German Bank with 8,640 euros or
- Submission of a declaration of commitment by a third party on an official form (Verpflichtungserklärung) or
- Notarized declaration from parents securing the livelihood for the duration of the training with proof of the income of the parents in the last six months
- Approval of benefits according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG)
Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
The following fees are assessed based on the actual technical effort.
- 56.00 to 100.00 euros for the initial issuance
- 49.00 to 96.00 euros for the extension
- A maximum of 28.80 for Turkish citizens
You can only make use of this service at the Foreigners Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) of the State Administration Authority (Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten),
at the Berlin-Charlottenburg site, Keplerstraße 2.
Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten
Show other authorities offering these services on the main Service Portal.