Court confirms sales ban on New Year's Eve fireworks

Court confirms sales ban on New Year's Eve fireworks

The Berlin Administrative Court has confirmed the nationwide ban on the sale of New Year's Eve fireworks.

Sicherer Umgang mit Silvesterböllern

© dpa

Source: dpa/deepl.com
Date of publication: December 28, 2021
Last updated: December 28, 2021
The court announced on Tuesday (28 December 2021) that urgent applications by pyrotechnics dealers against the regulation of the Federal Ministry of the Interior were unsuccessful. As in the previous year, the judges considered the ban on firecrackers in the Corona pandemic to be proportionate. (Ref: 1 L 554/21, VG 1 L 558/21, VG 1 L 562/21 and VG 1 L 565/21)

Figures from last year confirm effectiveness of ban

The aim of the ban is to reduce the number of injuries caused by the improper use of New Year's Eve fireworks and thus not to further aggravate the situation in hospitals, the judges said with regard to the Corona situation. In their view, figures from Berlin from last year's New Year's Eve show that the ban is suitable for this purpose: according to the report, 50 to 75 people are usually admitted to Berlin's Marzahn Accident Hospital alone on New Year's Eve; last year there were only 10.

Severe strain on hospitals

In view of the current heavy pressure on hospitals, quick action was necessary, the court said. Therefore, it was permissible that there was no law for the ban. The plaintiffs had criticised this as not permissible. Appeals against the decisions of the administrative court can be lodged with the Berlin-Brandenburg Higher Administrative Court. The Berlin courts have jurisdiction because of the official seat of the Federal Ministry of the Interior.

The Bundesrat had approved the extensive ban on the sale of firecrackers on 17 December, thus implementing a federal-state agreement. Numerous municipalities have also banned the burning of pyrotechnics in key places on New Year's Eve.

Source: dpa/deepl.com

More news from Berlin