Permanent settlement permit for family members of German citizens

Upon application, you may receive a permanent settlement permit if

  • you have cohabited with a German spouse or same-sex life partner, child or parent
  • for 3 years with a temporary residence permit,
  • have sufficient proficiency in the German language, and
  • the subsistence of your family is ensured.
A permanent settlement permit will be granted in most cases if you have satisfied the requirements set out in the section “Prerequisites”.


  • Possession of a residence permit for 3 years
    The period in which a valid national visa was held will be counted as well, provided you have cohabited with your German family member since arrival.
  • Family cohabitation with one German national.
    The German family member may be your
    • spouse or same-sex life partner,
    • child, or
    • parent.
    Family cohabitation must
    • have persisted without interruption for at least 3 years
    • and still be current.
  • In-person visit
    Personal appointments should be by arrangement only. Your German family member must also attend the appointment.

    If the foreign father of a German child places an application for a temporary residence permit without being accompanied by the child’s mother, confirmation from the Youth Welfare Office (not older than 14 days) concerning visiting rights must be submitted.
  • Proof of Income
    Your income must be sufficient to ensure your subsistence (including the subsistence of your foreign family members).
    Your subsistence is not ensured if you receive public benefits from a Job Center (unemployment benefits II) or the Social Welfare Office (basic income support payment).
    Your spouse or same-sex life partner may also provide proof of income.
  • Sufficient health insurance
    Proof of a secure livelihood must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information on adequate health insurance".
  • Sufficient command of the German language
    You must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the German language (level B1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
  • No criminal record
    Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
  • Main residence in Berlin

Documents required

  • Valid passport
    An ID card or a child ID card is also sufficient for the German family member.
  • 1 current biometric photo
    35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Proof of income
    For employees:
    • Employment contract,
    • Confirmation from the current employer of ongoing employment (not older than 14 days),
    • The last six payslips,
    • Insurance history from the Deutsche Rentenversicherung – German Statutory Pension Insurance Scheme

    For self-employed persons:
    • Audit report (Prüfungsbericht) prepared by an accountant, auditor or tax consultant with all the documents referred to therein, e.g. the excerpt from the commercial register (refer to Forms)
    • Last tax assesment

    For pensioners:
    • notice of pension approval

    In case of disability or a reduction in earning capacity:
    • notice of pension approval due to disability or a reduction in earning capacity, or
    • current assessment by the Federal Employment Office, or
    • meaningful doctor’s certificate
  • Health insurance
    • If you have “statutory” health insurance: current confirmation of cover from your health insurer
    • If you have “private” health insurance: insurance policy and proof that the premiums are paid (for instance bank statements)
  • Lease or proof of home ownership
    The living space as well as the monthly rent or the housing costs of your own property (house or apartment) must be proven.
  • Certificates showing participation in the integration course (if available)
    • "Zertifikat Integrationskurs" (Integration Course Certificate) confirming successful completion of the integration course
    • Certificate showing the results of the final test
    These documents facilitate review of the application. You may also demonstrate your sufficient proficiency in the German language by other means during the personal appointment.
  • Proof of the receipt of other benefits
    Do you receive child benefits, child allowances, parental benefits, a care allowance or similar benefits?
    If so, please bring suitable proof (e.g. notices of approval).
  • Certification of school attendance or a vocational training course for adult children
    Certification of school attendance or a vocational training course is necessary for:
    • an adult foreign child of a German parent, or
    • a foreign parent of an adult German child.
  • Proof of main residence in Berlin
    • Bescheinigung über die Anmeldung der Wohnung oder
    • Mietvertrag und Einzugsbestätigung des Vermieters


  • For the issue of the permanent settlement permit: 113.00 euros.
  • If the application must be rejected: 56.50 euros.
For Turkish citizens
  • up to the age of 24 years: 22.80 euros for the issue, 11.40 euros if the application must be rejected
  • from the age of 24 years: 37.00 euros for the issue, 18.50 euros if the application must be rejected