Residence permit to take part in a student exchange or to attend school
A temporary residence permit may be issued for school attendance or for participation in a pupil exchange.
As a rule, a temporary residence permit for school attendance is possible from the 9th class. For a pupil exchange, residence may also be enabled for lower class levels.
Attending school lessons does not entitle the student to a residence permit for this purpose.
The temporary student exchange must have been agreed by a school exchange organisation, a non-governmental youth organisation, a German school or other public sector entity in cooperation with a school or public sector entity in the other country.
Privately or commercially organised pupil exchanges are also possible.
Type of school for a stay to attend school
The school must be either
- a public or state-recognised school with an international orientation or
- a school which is not or is not predominantly financed from public funds and which prepares the pupils for international qualifications, qualifications of other states or state-recognised qualifications.
Consent of the parents
Only if the foreign student is not yet of age
Main residence in Berlin
In the case of those children who have not yet reached the age of 18, the application must be submitted by a supervisor who has been authorised to do so by the parents (host parents).
- Valid passport or passport substitute
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Form "Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels" (filled out)
available in German, English, French, Italian, Greek, Turkish, Serbo-Croatian, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian
Certificate from school
The certificate from the school must show the duration, the general conditions and any costs of the student exchange or school attendance.
- Agreement or contract for the student exchange (original)
Proof of secure livelihood
- Exchange students: written declaration by the host parents that accommodation, meals and pocket money will be provided.
- School attendance without student exchange: blocked account at a German bank with a credit balance of 807.00 Euros for every month (e.g. 9,684.00 Euros for 12 months’school attendance) or submission of an undertaking by third parties on official notepaper or a declaration by the parents that support will be provided for the duration of the schooling (evidence of the parents’income and copies of passports are to be attached)
- Exchange students: travel health insurance will suffice. This must be valid for the entire time of the stay.
- School attendance without student exchange: those persons holding statutory health insurance will have sufficient health insurance. Those students holding private health insurance must heed the nature and extent of their health insurance. (Please read the leaflet "Health insurance" for further information.)
These are not required for exchange students.
Written declaration of consent of the parents
- Minors under 18 years: A written notarized statement of the persons entitled to care must be presented.
- Minors under 16 years: In addition, parents must appoint a responsible adult caregiver.
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, English, French, Italian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Greek, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian
- Antrag auf Erteilung eines Aufenthaltstitels (Application for Issuance of a Residence Permit) - in German, Serbian, Bosnian
- Leaflet "Health insurance"
- Adults: 100.00 euros
- Minors: 50.00 euros
- Exchange student: free of charge
Average time to process request
A personal visit four to six weeks before the existing temporary residence permit expires is best. If possible you should book an appointment for this.
This service can only be taken advantage of in the Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung – LEA) at Keplerstrasse.