EU long-term residence permit
Issue of an EU long-term residence permit
Possession of a residence title for 5 years
- have lived in Germany for at least 5 years
- have had a residence title (visa, residence permit, settlement permit) without interruption
- and must have a valid residence title at present.
Proof of Income
- You must have a stable and regular income which is sufficient to maintain yourself and the members of your family.
- You must be covered by a statutory health insurance or must have taken out a private health insurance for an indefinite period or to be automatically renewed in the same scope as the statutory health insurance.
Sufficient knowledge of German
Basic knowledge of the legal and social system in Germany
Main residence in Berlin
No criminal record
Even fines may prevent the granting of a permanent settlement permit.
Adequate pension plan
When reaching the age of 67, you must have a provision for old age which covers your maintenance needs. For applications in 2022, the following applies:
- You have either built up pension rights by paying contributions to the statutory German Pension Fund (normally for at least 60 months) or to another insurance or pension institution entitling you to comparable benefits, or
- you receive a monthly cash benefit of at least 926.00 euros from a private pension or life insurance, or
- you, as a self-employed person, will have assets of at least 195,104.00 euros.
Please file an informal written application. Please enclose with your application copies of the documents specified in the section “Documents required”. You will either receive an invitation for a personal interview or a notification of charges.
- Valid passport
1 current biometric photo
35mm x 45mm, frontal shot with neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
Proof of income
- Contract of employment,
- Current certificate issued by the employer (not older than 14 days) and
- Salary statements for the last 6 months.
- Completed audit report together with the documents listed therein, e.g. extract from the Commercial Register;
- The audit report must be completed by a tax consultant, auditor or tax agent.
- Last tax assessment notice.
- Tax assessment notices,
- Bank account statements that show a regular inflow,
- Invoices,e.g. from galleries and auction houses and the like.
Lease or proof of home ownership
Proofs of living space and of monthly rent or cost of housing of own property (house or apartment) have to be supplied.
You can provide evidence of adequate retirement benefits (see section "Prerequisites") by:
- Pension information notice issued by the German Pension Fund, or
- Proof of entitlement to comparable benefits by another insurance or pension institution, or
- Private pension or life insurance, or
- Own or operating assets
Health insurance (insurance card, insurance policy)
- If you are covered by statutory health insurance, a current confirmation of health insurance coverage from your provider.
- If you are insured with a private health insurance company, the policy and proof of contributions paid (e.g. statements of account).
Proof of main residence in Berlin
- Certificate of registration at the main residence or
- lease and written confirmation of occupancy from the landlord
- EUR 113.00 (EUR 56.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 56.50 upon grant)
- EUR 22.80: up to the age of 24 (EUR 11.40 upon receipt of application and EUR 11.40 upon grant)
- EUR 37.00: from the age of 24 (EUR 18.50 upon receipt of application and EUR 18.50 upon grant)