Recognising foreign professional qualifications - professional recognition
You have acquired your professional qualifications abroad and you want to work in Berlin in your profession? Depending on your profession, you can or will have to recognize your foreign qualification.
The Single Point of Contact Berlin (EA Berlin) is an advice and information center for questions regarding professional recognition (see "Further Information").
Professional qualification acquired abroad
Original documents or a certified copy
Documents in German language (translation)
If the documents are written in another language, you may also need a translation by a publicly appointed translator. Please contact the responsible office.
The training courses you have completed and the jobs you have done
- Information about your current place of residence
- Proof of identity
- Training certificates acquired abroad
Evidence of relevant professional experience or other qualifications
If they are required for the determination of equivalence
- Declaration as to whether and to which office you have already applied for a determination of equivalence
- If necessary, notification of determination of equivalence
If necessary, further documents
Depending on the profession, additional documents may be required. Please contact the responsible office.
- None: online portal and service of the Single Point of Contact Berlin
- Different: depending on the effort and legal regulations for your profession
- Additional costs: e.g. for translations, certifications, compensatory measures
- The relevant federal or state law for performing the respective profession shall apply. You will find further information about this in the "Recognition in Germany" portal. Further laws may apply depending on the profession in question. Please contact the relevant office.
- Directive 2005/36/EG - Professional Qualification Recognition Directive
- Professional Qualification Assessment Law Berlin (BQFG Bln)
- Single Point of Contact Code for the State of Berlin (EAG Bln)
Average time to process request
- find the office responsible for the recognition of your professional qualification. (see "Further Information")
- alternatively, you can contact the Single Point of Contact Berlin