directory / list of architects and urban planners - registration
The following professional titles: Architect, interior designer, garden and landscape architect and urban planner are protected in Germany. You may only use this professional title if you have been approved by your Chamber of Architects subject to
- registration in the Directory of Architects and Urban Planners or
- registration as a capital or private company in the Directory of Professional Associations.
- are legally established in another member state of the European Union (EU) or in another state party to the agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) for the practising of a comparable activity and
- you would like to exercise this activity temporarily and occasionally in Berlin (temporary services),
You have studied architecture (building construction, interior design and landscape architecture) or urban planning at a foreign university outside the European Union (EU)?
- Then you can apply to the Berlin job market and work as an architect (e.g. as an employee in an architectural office).
- However, you are not allowed to use the professional title "architect" or "urban planner" and you are not entitled to submit building documents.
The professional title "Architect" is protected in Germany and requires formal permission. You can have your foreign degree assessed at the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (ZAB). Subsequently you apply for entry in the "List of Architects" at the competent Chamber of Architects and may then officially use the protected professional title.
Residence, premises or place of service or employment in Berlin
intended professional activities as an architect or urban planner of the respective area of specialisation
successful completion of a degree in the respective field of specialisation
from a German university or university of applied sciences with a standard study period of at least four years or equivalent training with a foreign university or higher education institution
Professional practice / practical work
of at least two years in the essential professional tasks of the respective area of specialisation (alternatively: qualification for higher public service in the area of construction or landscaping technology)
- Proof of residence within the state of Berlin, of professional premises or the place of service or employment
- Copy of degree certificate
Nachweis der praktischen Tätigkeit von mindestens zwei Jahren
In den wesentlichen Berufsaufgaben der jeweiligen Fachrichtung (alternativ: Befähigung zum höheren bau- oder gartenbautechnischen Verwaltungsdienst).
application form of the Chamber of Architects
(see section forms)
- Copy of birth certificate
- Proof of relevant professional liability insurance
- Certificate of good conduct for presentation to an authority
If necessary, further documents
Depending on area of specialisation and legal status. Please note instructions on the application form.
- application for the professional specialisations of architecture, landscaping and interior design
- application for the professional specialisation of urban planning
- application for registration as service providers from non-locals
- application for registration of a capital company as a professional association
- application for registration of a private company as a professional association
- application for change of status
80,00 to 515,00 Euro depending on the application variant. Further information can be found in the fee regulations of the Berlin Chamber of Architects.
- Berlin Architects’ and Building Chamber Law (ABKG)
- Professional Code by the Berlin Chamber of Architects
- Regulation governing the levying of fees by Berlin Chamber of Architects
- Registration Order of the Berlin Chamber of Architects
- Professional Recognition Regulations of the Berlin Chamber of Architects
Show other authorities offering these services on the main Service Portal.