Foreign residency programme of the Federal Republic of Germany
Target group / Purpose of funding
The German federal government and state governments award stipends for residencies abroad to outstanding professional artists working in the fields of architecture/landscape architecture, visual art, music (composition) and literature (not Paris). Artists from Berlin can apply to this programme through Berlin’s Senate Department for Culture and Europe.
- 11 months at the Deutsche Akademie Rom Villa Massimo
- 3 months at the Deutsche Akademie Rom Casa Baldi in Olevano Romano
- 3 months at the Deutsches Studienzentrum in Venice
- 6 months at the Cité Internationale des Arts in Paris (no literature stipends)
Eligibility and conditions
- Artists wishing to participate in this programme should have a track record of producing outstanding work and be able to verify this with their portfolio.
- Applicants must hold German citizenship (and be registered with their primary residence and working in Germany) or have lived (with their primary residence in) and worked primarily in Germany for at least the last five years.
- Applicants must have a basic knowledge of the language of the host country when they embark upon their residency.
- Only artists living and working in Berlin are eligible to apply to this programme through the Berlin Senate Department for Culture and Europe.
Artists awarded residencies at the German Academy Rome Villa Massimo, Casa Baldi or the German Study Centre in Venice receive free accommodation and a cash stipend (incl. costs for travel/transport and material) from the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (€2,500 monthly for guests of Villa Massimo and Casa Baldi; €1,500 monthly for residents in Venice). The German Academy Rome Villa Massimo and Casa Baldi provide Studios for resident artists.
Artists awarded residencies at the Bundesatelier at Cité Internationale des Arts in Paris receive a cash stipend from Berlin’s Senate Department of Culture and Europe (incl. travel/transport/material costs) of €2,500 per month plus free accommodation.
Call for applications
Applications are to be submitted to the state authority charged with administering cultural funding in the federal state where the applicant has his/her primary domicile. Applications must be received no later than 15 January in the year prior to the intended residency.
Former residents of the German Academy Rome Villa Massimo and Casa Baldi may only apply for a residency at the sister institution under special circumstances and upon completion of their first residency.
Please refer to the current version of the programme flyer for detailed information on submitting an application.
For more information about the foreign residency programme of the Federal Republic of Germany please visit the website of the Federal Government (in German):
Please note that applications for the foreign residency programme of the Federal Republic of Germany are to be submitted online to the Federal State of Berlin. It is not necessary to submit the printed forms which are published on the website of the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media.
INFORMATION SHEET Foreign residency programme of the Federal Republic of Germany 2019 - architecture, literature, music
INFORMATION SHEET Foreign residency programme of the Federal Republic of Germany 2019 - visual art
Infoveranstaltung Internationaler Kulturaustausch am 22. Juni 2018 im Podewil
Attachments to the online application
(please fill out in German and upload in the online application)
Attachment to application – Architecture
Attachment to application – Literature
Attachment to application – Music
Please submit your application – together with all relevant documentation – online.
Documents – as specified in the respective programme flyer for Architecture/ Literature/ Music – should be sent to:
Senatsverwaltung für Kultur und Europa
K D Kr
Brunnenstr. 188–190, 10119 Berlin